First Time User

Chris J.

I'm hoping some of you more experienced guys can give me a few pointers for my first use with my 18.5-inch WSM.

We're expecting about a dozen guests for my daughter's birthday party and I plan on smoking about 4 or 5 stacks of ribs and either 1 or 2 whole chickens or 8 or 9 chicken breasts (not sure yet whether to do whole chickens or chicken breasts yet). In any event, I'm looking for some advice as to whether or not I should use the standard method or minion method of smoking. Also, how much charcoal should I use? Will two to three chunks of apple wood be sufficient?

Finally, how long should I plan on for cooking time? Should I put everything on at once? Or should I start with the ribs first and then put the chicken on later because I'm assuming that the chicken won't need quite as long to cook as the ribs will.

A lot of questions, I know, but I'll certainly benefit from any advice at all. Thanks!

Happy smokn'

If you are having guests I would suggest doing a split cook on the WSM and your gas grill.

Assuming 12 people I would guess 6-8 racks of ribs would be plenty and I would throw 2-3 Whole chickens on a rotisserie.

I know doing everything on the WSM seems like a good idea, but mixing chicken and pork can be dangerous (figuratively and literally).
Also, not everyone will want an all-smoked meal. Chicken is better at high heat anyways. Look for a good marinade and baste for the chicken. My wife did a great asian style marinade and soy baste the other night that was top shelf.

Chris, don't know when this cook is but if it hasn't happened yet... I only use the minion method if I want low and slow, which I do with ribs. I would fill the coal ring, better too many than not enough. Ribs depending on spares or backs. Spares about 5-6 hrs at 225-250. Backs a bit less. I would say chicken 2-3 hrs for whole at 250-275. You can do one then hold and do the other, but as previous poster stated if you have a second grill I would use it for chicken.
Let us know how it goes.
Mark

A party with a dozen hungry guests is no time to be testing out your new toy. If it was me, I'd be cooking the ribs the day before and reheating them. That way if it takes longer than planned or you experience other 'issues' no one will be the wiser and your party can go off without incident. The chicken can be done quite well on whatever other cooker your used to; it does not benefit as much from the WSM as the ribs.

Back