First time use

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What a great site, thanks to all who help us newbies! I used my bullet for the first time today, I made baby back ribs, using the BRITU recipie. The ribs were bought at Star Market, the brand was Armour, they were packaged individually in cryovac total weight for 4 slabs was 5.12 lbs. I used oak for my smoking wood, and kingsford charcoal for my fuel. I let the rub sit on the meat for about 1 1/2 hrs. while I fired up the grill. I used water in the pan as suggested. For my wet rub at the end of cooking I used Bullseye original and sue bee honey
My thermometer (after water testing, was off -5 degrees). Here is a log of my 1st cooking experience for anyone who is interested:

Time----Temp----Vents---Meat---Wood---Water
-----------------------------------------------
11:45---270-----0 0 0----added---oak
12:00---270-----0 0 0
12:15---270-----0 0 0
12:30---250-----0 0 0
12:45---250-----0 0 0
01:00---245-----0 0 0
01:15---245-----0 0 0
01:45---245-----0 0 0
02:00---260-----0 0 0----turned---------1 pint
02:30---240-----0 0 0
03:00---230-----0 0 0
03:15---235----33 33 33
03:30---235----33 33 33

I'll have to say that without all the help I recieved at this site, this may have been a disaster, but for my first time using a bullet it turned out okay. It was very easy to control the temperature of the Weber, started out a little too hot, but I think it's cause it was new (highly reflective inside) the recipie was exceptional! Wife and kids loved the ribs! However, I expected better (maybe the quality of the ribs). I wasn't to happy with Armours ribs, but that's all they had. Can't wait to try another, perhaps better quality brand of ribs.

All in all,it was a very easy job, and went smoothly. I managed not to burn the deck down and had a very enjoyable time. I even managed to get my son involved (future state champ?). I look forward to the next time I use the smoker, perhaps a brisket...more ribs,...a chiken or two, soon some venison...man, can't wait! Again what a great site, and a big hello to all fellow Bar-b-quer's! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Victor, congrats on your first cook. I'm almost positive that the ARMOUR Ribs are enhanced. Look around for non enhanced ribs and you'll taste a BIG difference. Look on the front of the label and it will say if they are (very small type).
Do the brisket you'll love it. That's my favorite thing to cook in the WSM. Happy Smoking /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Thanks Bryan S for the encouragement!
You were right about the ribs. I will try it again with a different brand of ribs. I think my second attempt will be a combination of brisket and chicken...anyone have any ideas/comments that might help out?

Victor, ah! the brisket now you're talking BBQ. Look for a packers cut.I will try to keep this short. IMO do a flat for your first brisket. If you do a whole brisket the flat gets done before the point. So if you cook till the point gets done the flat will dry out.(the last whole brisket i cooked the flat hit 190 and the point was only at 178) This has been my experience. If you find a whole packers cut you can seperate the 2(it's very easy to do) and cook them that way. Thats how i cook them now.JMO That way you can pull the flat when it gets done and continue to cook the point till it gets done.The point has a lot more fat in it that has to render out. When looking for a flat get one that has a nice layer of fat on top 1/8"-1/2". A whole flat averages 5-7 lb
I get mine at Super Wal-Mart for .87 lb. BJ'S has them also but they are $1.99lb Good Luck /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Victor, if you don't know how to separate the flat from the point go to page 5 of the beginner's forum. At the top of the page is a post about it with pictures.Bryan /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back