First Time Spares - Cook Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Weisse

TVWBB Super Fan
I decided to try doing spare ribs this weekend. Got 'em trimmed up per Chris's instructions (thank you for a great tutorial). Kind of a hack job, but not bad for a first attempt.

How much time should I plan for the cook? Trimmed weight of the slab is about 4 lbs. and I normally shoot for a dome temp of 240-250. I had originally planned on 7 hours, but is that too long?

Tony

Tony, I am going to cook spares today too. I have always went with babybacks but at half price I couldnt resist the spares. I plan on 6-7 hrs for mine at 225-250 temp and they will be done when their done. We are having a big fat day of eating. I am done with 2 pork shoulders that I cooked overnight (YUM) and heres the rest of whats happening.
Turkey legs, spares, Karems triangle (out of this world good), sausages,corn, beans,bluecheese coleslaw, and smores for dessert. Its a back to school blowoff the buttons party. Now all I need to figure out is a fruit smoothie for the kids and im set.
DP

I often get the very large 3 in a pack spares from Sam's and cook them as 6 half racks. My cook time is usually from 7 to 8 hrs and I don't ordinarily use foil. You'll get your moneys worth with those ribs

Paul

I would start checking them at the 5 hour mark for doneness, then around every 1/2 hour. First I look to see if the meat has shrunk down the bone, though some ribs shrink more than others. Then I wiggle the middle rib. If I can make the meat tear down the bone easy its ready. I like my ribs tender but not falling off the bone. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back