First time Smoking (pork butts) on new 22.5" WSM, some questions.

[Note: I know this is a rather long post, so for those who don't want to read the whole thing, the short story is this: Fired up my 22.5" WSM with 2 bone-in pork butts. They went great. However, it ran hotter than expected. Top vent was always open 100%, 2 bottom vents were closed 100%, one open 25%, and it still pushed upwards of 250 degrees the whole time. After pulling the meat and closing all bottom vents, it stayed over 240. Should I be concerned?]

I fired up my new WSM for the first real smoker this past weekend. I did a short cooking with a handful of chicken hindquarters earlier last week, but that was just cooking for 2 hours with a little over one chimney of charcoal.

For this one, I piled up one full bag of Kingsford blue, along with some chunks of hickory, then lit up a half chimney of additional charcoal. Once the coals were ready, I added them to the pile, put down the water pan, and filled it with a few gallons of almost boiling water. Finally, the two bone-in pork butts went on, one about 10 pounds, the other about 8. I put the bigger one on the top rack, and the smaller one below it.

It was after dark when I started, no wind to speak of, and temp outside was low 70's. Time was around 1am when I put the meat on.

I ran it with all the vents open wide until the temp went past 225, then closed the bottom vents to about 25% each. After about half an hour or so, I checked the temperature again. It was around 240. At that point, I closed two of the vents fully, and left one at 25%. An hour later, and the temp was up to 250.

There was some smoke leaking around the lid, and some coming out from the to of the side door.

I left if like that over night, checking after 3 hours. The temp was hovering around 250 still. After another 3-4 hours, the temp was still up around 250. The sun was up by now, and as it came around the house, with the direct sunlight hitting the smoker, the temp increased another 10-15 degrees.

I pulled the top pork butt at around 1:30pm, at a temp of 190. The second one was done about 40 minutes later, also temping at 190.

I closed all 3 bottom vents after pulling off the second pork butt. A few hours after that, I looked at the temp again, and it was still showing 265 degrees

The pork butts came out great. They were a big hit at the July 4th get-together I took them to. I was also really impressed at how long it held temperature. It'd been 12+ hours when I pulled the meat, and as mentioned above, it continued at good temp for another 2-3 hours after that.

Should I be concerned at all about the temp being high? I expected it to drop more when I closed the vents to the extent I did. Especially after I pulled the meat and closed them entirely.

Is this a case of a new smoker running a little hot? Or is it likely that I'm not getting a good enough seal? I'd love to know what some of you more experienced WSM owners think.

Hi Christopher.

As to why your cooker stayed at "240*" after closing your bottom vents, no wsm is gonna be completely air tight, and besides, a charcoal fire is a lot slower to respond to oxygen deprivation than a burning wood fire.

Your cooker will respond to vent changes better with more use as it gets more "seasoning" on the surfaces, but this is a good test to see if the section/door fit is up to what I personally consider par: Not only do you need to close the bottom vents, but to snuff out the fire quickly, also shut the TOP vent. If the temp doesn't start to quickly plummet, THEN, I'd say you have a fit issue. Tweak the door as much as you'd like since it's aluminum, but it doesn't need to be air-tight. You should be able to see if there's any out of round issue with the sections by using a flashlight, but don't worry if the fit isn't perfect. It's just sheet metal, and certainly not going to be tight like a drum, ie. BDS or a homemade UDS (upright drum smoker). Going by the Weber manual, I guess what you should be able to expect out of a wsm is to be able to cook at about 250* with water in the pan. The more meat and more water in the pan you have, the easier it'll be to cook 225-250*, if that's what you want to do. I'm mixing it up today and cooking butts all day at about 275* since I'm only doing two, or one grates worth, on my 18.5" wsm. Both butt's IT's are about 170* already and the bark looks GREAT.

I guess I just expected the temp to start dropping after closing all 3 vents, instead of continuing to increase slightly (after the meat was pulled). Even 2-3 hours after closing all the bottom vents, it was still up over 240.

Good idea on closing the top and bottom ones, though. Next time I fire it up (sometime this week, I think), I'll do that after I finish cooking, see what the temperature does.

Everything seems to fit together pretty well, with no points feeling like they're not matching up, and no visible gaps, except the door. The top of the door has some pretty big visible gaps, and I think I'll try to bend those out of it.

Christopher, the temp will naturally go up some after pulling the meat off the grate. For one, you had the dome off while deciding whether it was done, and the coals got a blast of air. Secondly, the meat is a "heat sink" in itself, and with it off the rack, naturally the cooker is gonna go up to a higher temp, all things being equal, of course.

It sounds like they have you covered here pretty well. I also was concerened about the higher temps the first couple of cooks but it seems to be more controlable now. Just be carful when tweeking the door or even if you try to reshape the middle section,to much pressure can make it worse, it's just like adding seasoning start off light until you get what you want.

Back