First time on WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Provance

TVWBB Super Fan
WSM came in!! Gonna all night/Minion 2 butts with Kingsford/apple chunks. 1 with mustard/rub, 1 with just rub. Want to do one on top of the other for a little basting. Which should go on top? Or should I switch them during cook? Also, should water pan have h2o or be empty? Last ?. Has anyone ever used John Henry's Pecan Rub? Was given to me. I don't know if that makes it good or bad.

Mike,

Sounds like your off to a great start! Hard to go wrong with overnight butts. My thoughts on putting one on top and one on bottom are this, probably not necessary for basting purposes. Butts should have enough fat to be "self basting". That being said, try one on top of the other and see how it works out.
I would go with water in the pan, will help with the "low and slow" thing you are shooting for.
Never heard of the John Henry's, try it and let us all know how it worked for you.

Oh, one more thing. Be prepared to enjoy some of the best smoked pork you have ever had. Every time I smoke butts, they just keep getting better and better!

Wayne

I would use sand in the water pan. Boston Butts do not really need moisture as they have plenty of fat. Also, I love John Henry's Pecan Rub on ribs and chicken. But I do know if it would be very good on butts. It has a lot of sugar and may not hold up to the cook. Here's the rub I use: <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1/4c Paprika, 1/4c fresh ground black pepper, 1/4c kosher salt, 1/4 cup turbinado sugar, 2tbls granulated garlic,2tbls granulated onion, 1 tsp ground chipotle.
[/list]

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonny Jordan:
[qb] No need to switch butts. Let us know how they turn out! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And if one is slightly larger than the other, I would put the larger on top.

Hi Mike,

You won't need to worry about dripping one butt on the other. However, when you do butts and briskets together, put the brisket on bottom.

John Henry stuff is good. I have a few . He is from East Texas.

From his web site: "In 1989 John Henry was asked to personally handle the presidential inauguaral dinner. He put together a team of 19 chefs, traveled to Washington, and prepared barbecue for President Bush along with 20,000 guests attending the celebration."
johnhenry.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back