First time making Salmon Candy

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
I have been wanting to try Steven Raichlen's Salmon candy for awhile. Today was the day. Here is his recipe http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/salmon-candy/
I wasn't sure how it was going come out, so I only bought a 1lb center fillet. I mixed the ingredients, brined it for 8 hrs, then I used Alder wood for the smoke. I had the vents closed down, but grill ran around 250f or so. It only took the salmon an hr to cook. Once off the grill, I broke it up into pieces. It tasted great!!!! Next time, I will splurge and buy a whole fillet, and do this again. Here are the photos.

Good job Michael! Did I read the recipe right? A total of 4-5hrs @ 200? Seems like they they would come out like the tiny little fries at the bottom of the bucket. What's your take? Would you let them go a little longer next time?

Thanks guys! Happy with the results. I checked the salmon at 45 minutes, it looks great, decide to let it go for another 15 more minutes. Came out perfect!

That looks really interesting, Michael. So it's, maple flavored, brined, hot-smoked salmon. I like! Nice job!

Rich

Back