First Time Lump Question

Scott Hammock

TVWBB Member
I'm using Royal Oak for the first time tomorrow. Doing a pork butt.
My question is: am I going to use the same amount in the ring and in the chimney that I did for charcoal?
I've NEVER used it before. Done some reading, but can't find where it's addressed.
Thanks!

I'm using Royal Oak for the first time tomorrow. Doing a pork butt.
My question is: am I going to use the same amount in the ring and in the chimney that I did for charcoal?
I've NEVER used it before. Done some reading, but can't find where it's addressed.
Thanks!

In my experience Royal Oak lump burns a little more quickly than briquettes and also spikes up a bit hotter from time to time. Briquettes are more consistent in both temps and length of burn, but there's no denying that lump burns a little cleaner and you can't beat how it crackles and pops like real wood.

So, I would expect to use more fuel in general and you will have some temp spikes. But since a pork butt is so forgiving on temps I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also, there is often quite a bit of dust in the bottom of a bag of Royal Oak lump. I would try to keep that out of your smoker if you can. I've found it makes the fire burn a little bit sooty and just generally doesn't smell great.

Have fun and can't wait to hear how it goes!

You'll use a LOT more RO lump than any briquette I've ever used. That's why I usually dump in a layer of briquettes first. Then I pour in the lump....pack, and shake and pack some more lump in til the ring is full. I often use briquettes to light with as well, but as long as they're mostly ashed over, you'll still get a very clean smoke start compared to dumping onto unlit briquettes.

Yes, lump burns faster, but not as hot as you might think in the oxygen deprived environment of the wsm. If your fire starts to burn down, you can put a couple handfuls of unlit lump in around the ring and it won't put off a bunch of nasty smoke like if adding a lot of unlit briquettes. Speaking of smoke, you might want to use a couple more chunks of wood than if using most briquettes. Good luck with it, and I hope your BBQ turns out to your liking.

Last edited:

Back