first test run. Need some help

I would guess the keg would run a bit more like a real kamado than an Akorn. The Akorn is a good grill but is not sealed up or insulated anywhere close to a real kamado. I've seen the keg, as mike said, it seemed better built, thicker steal, better seal, better insulation etc.

So back at it today. I think i have everything dialed in nicely. Question about the damper though and this might go out to Steve. I got serve pulse duration numbers figured out the other day. I got to go fully closed and open. However...my question is when i hit my target temp...don't i want the disc to be slightly open to not kill the fire? I hit my temp and it is settling down but disc is fully closed. Is this normal?

So back at it today. I think i have everything dialed in nicely. Question about the damper though and this might go out to Steve. I got serve pulse duration numbers figured out the other day. I got to go fully closed and open. However...my question is when i hit my target temp...don't i want the disc to be slightly open to not kill the fire? I hit my temp and it is settling down but disc is fully closed. Is this normal?

When you hit your target temp, the blower and servo output should be reduced to a level that they are maintaining the target temp. If the PID output goes to 0 once you hit your target temp, then the heatermeter isn't really doing anything.

On my kamado joe, the output is typically at 25-35% output when maintaining temps.

Here's what a normal cook looks like for me:

ERJ80xG.jpg

The damper closing fully and how long it stays that way depends on the PID settings, and also of the amount of overshoot you have. Typically when PID's are set well the pit will hit the target with a slight bump of overshoot, the damper will close fully until the temp starts to drop back down to the target temp, then it will open up a bit an things should stabilize. As Steve said and I agree, the sweet spot is about 25-35% , your damper should be sitting right about there when the pit is stabilized, that gives the damper room to tamp down the fire and also build it up a bit if need be. You can play with the top vent a bit once your pit is stabilized, you should see the damper adjust to what you do with the top vent, tweak the top vent so the damper settles in the 30% range.

Last edited:
Question about the damper though and this might go out to Steve. I got serve pulse duration numbers figured out the other day. I got to go fully closed and open. However...my question is when i hit my target temp...don't i want the disc to be slightly open to not kill the fire? I hit my temp and it is settling down but disc is fully closed. Is this normal?

No you do not. You want the HeaterMeter to calculate what should be going on. Just have faith in the system

I have a BSK same as the bkk. Set max blower speed on startup no higher than about 20. I will check my exact settings tomorrow. Blower only on above 90, max 15 percent blower. top vent at 1.5 to 2.5 depending on low heat 225 or 275 and above at 2.5.
Only light about one or two coals on top of the charcoal. I only have ever use lump charcoal. Not sure how it will behave on briquettes.

I have a BSK same as the bkk. Set max blower speed on startup no higher than about 20. I will check my exact settings tomorrow. Blower only on above 90, max 15 percent blower. top vent at 1.5 to 2.5 depending on low heat 225 or 275 and above at 2.5.
Only light about one or two coals on top of the charcoal. I only have ever use lump charcoal. Not sure how it will behave on briquettes.

thanks. i'll be curious to hear your settings too!

Back