First stab at competition level ribs, planning questions

LeoP.

TVWBB Member
This coming up Wednesday I am going to try my hand at competition quality ribs. I've selected a lovely rack of baby back ribs from Publix's that has no added chemicals/solutions. I am going to use my Kettle set up like the diagram below with Kingsford Competition charcoal, chunks of apple & cherry wood and the pans of water.

Here are some questions I have, I may be over thinking this but I am serious about success. I do this as a hobby and don't like to f**k about when it come to getting better at this!

Should I go with a dry rub and mop sauce or go wet with sauce? Or run with sauce and mop sauce? I'm scared to have candy bar ribs!

Should I use a rib rack or go flat on the grate for the best color?

For a mop sauce I've been using apple juice with apple vinegar in a spray bottle. Should I change this? Add whiskey maybe?

For box garnish what should I use?

Thanks guys!

Here is my last set of ribs on the Kettle, I was leaning my heat controls and got a little hot on this rack in the beginning. Came out with a good smoke ring but the char ruined the visual appearance of the ribs. These were cooked in a rack.

I don't know the first thing about competing Leo, but I think those look pretty darn good.

There are many videos/sites on the web that talk about competition ribs (St Louis and Baby Back). thehogblog.com is a great site, slapyodaddybbq.com and others. Search youtube for videos. The main thing to remember is that you are looking for "one bite" flavor. Additionally you don't want fall off the bone tenderness. Many folks want a rib to have tenderness that you can suck it all done - I personally don't like that as the meat ends up mushy and loses its delicate flavor of pork. I still have all my teeth and prefer to have a bite to it :)

Good luck to you!

Back