First stab at a boston butt

Andy V

TVWBB Member
So the 18.5" WSM shows up on Friday, and looking at starting this late Friday night. Since this is my first smoke ever, along with my first time playing with charcoal can I get a few tips.

Looking at doing this recipe http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?25926-Chris-Lilly-s-Six-time-World-Championship-Pork-Shoulder-injection-and-rub.

The boston butt weights 5.5 lbs.
I was looking at going with natural lump charcoal.
I have hardwood chips but not lumps are large pieces. Will this be an issue? If so, I can go to a store and purchase larger chunks?
How man pieces of charcoal should I use in 60-70 degree weather.
I was thinking 225 degrees would work.

I hear of everyone talking about wrapping the food in paper or foil at some point in the cook, do I need to worry about this?

For the heat sink should i use water or sand?

Do i need to baste the meat during the cook, or rotate the meat?

What temp should the pork be when done cooking?

When adjusting the dampeners, should i leave the top ones wide open and adjust the heat with the bottom ones/
Sorry for so many questions. Just a newbie

Congratulations on your new WSM. Should be an enjoyable cook.

A couple of suggestions to help with the enjoyment part...

While lump is an excellent heat source, this being your first charcoal adventure, might want to use Kingsford Blue, Kingsford Comp, or Stubbs this time around.
Once you get used to proper temperature control, then consider going to lump.

Since this will not be a short cook, fill the charcoal pan to the top with unlit, leaving a little room for the lit coals on top. With everything else going on, you
don't want to worry about running low on coals and having to add some during the cook.

While some like to baste during the cook, it can cause issues, especially during your first cook. Each time you open the lid, you add combustion air to the coals allowing your coals to burn hotter.
Also, basting adds moisture to the meat's outside surface only and will cause a longer cook since the add surface moisture will have a cooling effect on the meat as it evaporates.
This time around, you want to just put the meat in the wsm and close the lid, not opening it for at least 5 hours. ( didn't Mr Lily only 'baste' during the last 20 minutes or so...)

Unlike baking, temperature means nothing as far as tenderness goes. Sure, tenderness happens around a certain temperature range, but it differs with each cut of meat.
The best test for tenderness is the probe test, be it probing with an instant read thermometer, bamboo skewer or whatever. You're looking for something very close to probing into soft butter.
This of course will not happen for many hours. And the approx time differs when using foil/paper vs unfoiled/unpapered. But in each method, it does normally start occurring 2 or so hours after
the going thru the stall. Would suggest probe testing once you reach 190 - 195 internal temperature. If not tender, check again in another 20 or so minutes.

Oh... take picture(s) ;)

Bob

Last edited:
I would consider using water,make sure it's HOT water, new WSM's have been known to run a little hotter than one thats been used for awhile and the water will help keep temps regulated and on the same note I would suggest doing charcoal instead of lump due to the fact that lump also burns hotter and sometime not burn as consistant as charcoal briq's. you'll hear this quote all the time, BBQ is done when it's done and as stated each cut of meat cooks differently but most butts end up being in the 190-205 internal range when done. Also don't be alarmed if and when the stall hits, this is very common as this is the time when the fat starts rendering out and the conective tissues start to break down and can be an hour or so long where the temp of the meat just sits there, just ride it out. Now I have to go to work, others will more than likely be around shortly to give their input. welcome to the obsession, have fun and enjoy.

Last edited:
All great advice above, and don't worry about running a little higher than 225 degrees. Good luck!

I started out on Kingsford and still love it for smoking. Haven't felt the need to switch over to lump yet, but lump is all I use for grilling on my Performer. The heat it can throw out is just too awesome.

But +1 to the idea of using briquettes for that cook, they last a bit longer on a smoker than lump would from what I've read.

If your using chips soak them in water and then put them in a heavy duty foil pouch with a few holes poked in it. Place the pouch on the hot coals. You'll probably use 3 or 4 pouches depending on how big you make them.

As for lump burning hotter yes it does but this isn't a problem because all you do is cut back on the amount of air going into the cooker. Since your getting a higher heat value per pound of fuel with lump you actually consume less to keep the same constant temperature as briquettes. 225 degrees is 225 degrees no matter what fuel you use. 1 pound of lump will last longer than 1 pound of briquettes to give you 225*

You can normally pack more briquettes into the the charcoal ring because of their uniform size then you can lump and because of this people think the lump burns faster, but they are going by volume not weight. If you get your lump packed in right it will last just as long.

Butts turn out well even with temperature fluctuations, so don't worry too much about holding exactly 225. Anything in the 220-250 range will turn out some good pork.

If you don't have one already, consider picking up a remote probe thermometer, the kind with a wireless display and temperature alarms. I have a Maverick that works great, it has a sensor for the meat and one for the smoker. I set it for 210 on the low end and 250 on the high end for the grill and 195 for the meat, then try to hold temps around 230 for the cook.

I like to catch my temps on the way up. So I start with a full charcoal ring with Kingsford Competition, about 4 fist-sized chunks of wood (half apple, half hickory) around the edges of the ring, then fire up 10-15 briquettes. When those are lit, they go in a little hollow in the middle of the charcoal pile. Then the smoker gets assembled and the meat gets put on right away. All vents wide open. When temps hit around 200, I close down the three bottom vents to little slivers, maybe 1/4" open and start watching my temps closely. If they drop, a little more air. If they rise quickly, I might close 1 or 2 of the bottom vents completely.

I've had to run anything from wide open to all vents fully closed to keep temps where I want them, so just adjust as necessary. If I run just one vent open, I make it the one opposite the top vent and I might switch which vent is open periodically to keep the charcoal burning relatively evenly.

Wrapping makes your bark softer but also takes the meat through the stall more quickly. If you wrap at the beginning of the stall, you probably won't have one at all. But you'll have mushy bark. Different people have different tastes--if you want a really firm bark, no reason to wrap until the meat is cooked and resting. If you like a soft bark like me, wrap as soon as the bark is set (the meat will be a nice mahogany color).

I recommend using water on your first cook because it makes temperature control easier. I used water the first time then never again, I personally didn't like the cleanup and don't mind the smoker's tendency to run hotter and fluctuate more. People get good product with water, sand, clay pots, an empty water bowl, and no water bowl at all. It's just a matter of learning how the smoker works with whatever setup works for you.

Remember, it's done when it's done. The classic newbie mistake is trying to rush the cook or pulling the meat off because the temperature probe says something. When you poke a temperature probe or skewer or something into the meat, it should go in like the meat is soft butter. If you're getting any kind of real resistance, it's not done yet. That can be frustrating if you're trying to plan a meal, but it's the one rule of BBQ you can't break.

If you need to hold the meat until meal time, just wrap it tightly in foil then put it in a cooler with a bunch of bath towels. You can hold meat for 3-4 hours that way, typically enough to carry you to lunch time or dinner time or whatever. Certainly plenty enough time to cook up your sides. It'll still be hot after those hours.

Thanks guys! Love the advice. So I am hearing to just wrap the soaked wood in tin foil, and toss it in the fire. Also, if I went to larger chunks of wood, would i need to wrap them, and soak them?

Thanks guys! Love the advice. So I am hearing to just wrap the soaked wood in tin foil, and toss it in the fire. Also, if I went to larger chunks of wood, would i need to wrap them, and soak them?

Nope, no reason to soak the fist sized chunks.

Andy if you do use chips in a pouch you have to poke some holes in it to let the smoke out, I never soak or wrap chunks.

Bob, The only reason I suggested briQs over lump is because a new user has got to learn the smoker and fire control, you are correct but if you are not familiar with your cooker like most seasoned owners are using lump could be a bit more than you want to try right now wouldn't you agree?

I have a Maverick that works great, it has a sensor for the meat and one for the smoker. I set it for 210 on the low end and 250 on the high end for the grill and 195 for the meat, then try to hold temps around 230 for the cook.

Purchased this also when I got the smoker. How do you run the sensor wires in?

Andy, there are many articles on here to read that will give you great advice. I'm also a newbie and have not done a cook yet. After spending a few hours here and then reading your questions I could have replied as the vets just did. Awesum site here!
Good luck!

Welcome to the club Andy! I see you've gotten a ton of good advice from the pros already, and I don't have any more to give without being repetitive. I did just want to add, Chris Lilly's rub recipe has to be hands down my favorite for anything and everything pork. I keep a big back of it on hand at all times to use on ribs, chops, butts, etc... You may want to do the same, because I've got a feeling that you're going to be doing quite a bit of smoking this summer! :wsm:

Prost!

I am newer as well. Got my WSM in October. Since then the gas grill is well I don't know and don't care. I have picked up a performer platinum, and am getting ready to start a mini project as soon as I can find the pot locally in the Charlotte area.

My first smoke was a butt. I rubbed the night before, and placed in the smoker in the morning. Used K and had great results. I did use water in the pan, which I have recently stopped. My temperature ranges would go from 200-275 or so, but it came out great. I have lived in this neighborhood for 8 years and people were comming over to hang out that I have never seen before. The did show up at the end which was smart in their part. Bring me some beer and will give you food. But anyway back to the first smoke. The butt was fantastic. I did not play with it, turn it, or put anything on it. Just sat out toward the end with some High Lifes (champagne of beers) and enjoyed the smell. Since then I have not changed anything other than fuel and water. I went to Stubbs and now royal oak lump (wicked good if I can find it). I have stopped using water all together. I am still playing with wood, I like pecan the best.

Last smoke got temps up put the shoulder on played 18 holes won some money came back and the temp was still 240. Can't say enough about the WSM. Butts are good, turkey is my best, and ribs are getting better.

Welcome, play with it, find out what works for you and have fun.

Andy if you do use chips in a pouch you have to poke some holes in it to let the smoke out, I never soak or wrap chunks.

Bob, The only reason I suggested briQs over lump is because a new user has got to learn the smoker and fire control, you are correct but if you are not familiar with your cooker like most seasoned owners are using lump could be a bit more than you want to try right now wouldn't you agree?

Don all you need to do is cut back on the air more so I don't see why he would have to go buy briquettes when he already has lump. Temp control is temp control.

Thanks for all the input guys! I bought stubs charcoal and differant types of wood to smoke throughout the year. Only fist size chunks i could find were hickory. Purchased apple, pecan, and mesquite these are chips. Purchased a chicken and ribs today too. Should be an interesting saturday and sunday.

Hi, am looking to do my first Boston butt this weekend and also have a few queries. There is so much information on the web about what temp to pull the meat off at, I am now confused!

So, is it best to reach an internal temp of 195F then wrap in foil and place in a cool box for a couple of hours or reach an internal temp of 195-203F and rest for 30 mins, or can you take the meat straight of the smoker and pull straight away!

Many thanks, your advice is much appreciated

Thanks for all the input guys! I bought stubs charcoal and differant types of wood to smoke throughout the year. Only fist size chunks i could find were hickory. Purchased apple, pecan, and mesquite these are chips. Purchased a chicken and ribs today too. Should be an interesting saturday and sunday.

Hickory is a pretty strong flavored smoke wood. I like it a lot and use it for just about everything in some amount, just don't use too much of it. Even for a butt or brisket you don't want more than 5 or 6 chunks tops, and that will give you a nice strong smoky flavor.

Avoid the rookie mistake of adding more and more smoke wood. You don't need to constantly have smoke on the meat. Just in the first part of the cook--after that it's possible to over-smoke the meat and have it taste bitter and gross. Trust that you got enough smoke on it and just feed in charcoal if necessary. For the last 1/2 to 2/3 of the cook you just need heat, not smoke.

Back