First Spring Cook (updated final pics)

Jamieson S

TVWBB Fan
So, hate to say it but my WSM has been sitting unused since a pre-Thanksgiving turkey I had made.
Very excited about my first cook of spring. Have 21.8 lbs of butts (3 of them) and 2.4 lbs of hot links to make for watching the Final Four tomorrow. Plan on firing the smoker up at about 11pm this eve to have butts ready for 5pm game.
Also making Alton Brown's "The Once and Future Beans" as a side.
Pics should be here as night progresses. As of now just one shot of a very wintered WSM
icon_wink.gif

http://tinyurl.com/6ffrg
Jamie

Jamieson, the one pic currently posted looks like my deck several months go. Keep 'em coming as well as cook updates ok?

Shawn

Jamieson,

Now I remember why I stayed in NC after moving here from PA. It is 68 degrees now (6 am) and the azaleas are starting to bloom... dogwoods will be out in about a week.

Good luck on your first spring cook.

Ray

Jamieson

I think I heard, somewhere, that Illinois was playing today ?

Good luck on your cook and to your team. The latest line is WSM by 10 !

Paul

Hope that wasn't deceiving but that WSM pic was from earlier this winter. Just hadn't gotten around to posing it in the past. We are looking at clear skies (after some rain last night) and a high near 50 degrees today.
Butts have been on for 9 hours now. Woke up at the 8 hour mark and the temp was right where I left it (a tad under 250 at the lid) 6 hours before when I went to bed. Just waiting for the gf to wake up to help me with a flip. Pics should follow once I get the lid off. Beans are in the oven and smell great so far, but how can 1 lb of bacon cooked with 1 onion and 2 jalapenos not smell good?

And actually, I am pulling for Louisville today
icon_wink.gif

Jamie

I made those beans a couple of weeks ago and they were fantastic. If you have a cast iron dutch oven, that is the way to go. I found that 6 hours was just about perfect. Make sure that you stir them every hour or two. Enjoy!

Added some pics from the 14.5 hour mark. Have 2 butts on lower rack.
Nothing you have not seen before.
Hope to have some final product as well as links I added just after these pics.
Jamie

Just added a few pics of the final product to link above. Have to say it was a great meal. Pork pulled very easily with 2 forks and the beans were some of the best I have tried. Great recipe.
Unfortunately the hot links didn't make it on the camera as I pulled them off first and 2.5 lbs of them were literally enhaled (pork pics made it by sheer luck)
icon_wink.gif

Jamie

Back