First Spatchcocked Chicken

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
For years I have had a Rotisserie in different cookers and that's how my wife wanted whole Chicken. In all those years I never did a spatchcocked bird. I sold my Weber Performer so I decided to do my first Spatchcocked Chicken. 5 lb. bird, dry brined 18 hrs., herb butter under the breast skin, and Canola oil on the whole thing. 400° for 1 hr. 20 min. and the meat probe was spot on when I checked with my Thermapen. My wife was pleased.
😁
Moist, tender, crispy skin, and pretty tasty. I used Weber Grillmaster Blend pellets for the first time and I'm going to find something else for Chicken. I was the one that thought the smoke taste was off. Jon Tofte, I finally got around to testing them and I'll try them on Pork to see if I like that more. I'm really surprised by how much smoke I get at 400°. WSF rocks. That's blue smoke over the right side of the EX6.8-4-20 Spatchcocked Chicken.JPG8-4-20 First Spatchcocked Chicken.JPG8-4-20 400° Smoke.JPG

Last edited:
Bird looks good.

The only time I'll cook a whole bird is if I'm deep frying it. Baked, roast, smoked, grilled, etc., all are gonna get either spatchcocked or quartered. They just plain cook more evenly and faster.

Back