First Spares, Thanks, Pics

Bob Porter

TVWBB Member
After purchasing the WSM this summer, I began smoking lots of baby backs and butts. Everywhere I looked though, it seemed folks were cooking spares. I see them at the store but have been intimidated.

Well, on Friday when I was picking up some butts, I decided to pick up a package of spares. I looked at a couple You Tube videos (including Chris's) on how to prepare the spares St. Louis style.

Today I trimmed them, rubbed them, smoked them, and just finished eating them. Spares will be on the menu a lot more now. We all really enjoyed these ribs.

I even smoked the trimmings. One piece got a bit done, but the others were good afternoon treats while we waited for the ribs.

I used the Sugarless Texas Sprinkle and foiled them. We agreed these have been the best ribs I've smoked yet. Wifey asked for the cayenne to be cut back some next time. The trimmings were far more peppery than the finished ribs were, but I do aim to please so will cut back a touch next time.

I appreciate all the help folks have offered here. It makes picking up this *hobby* far more entertaining. Success is always right there.

2895263505_2c3afcbdfb.jpg

2896033981_f5dfd29d91.jpg

2896037137_661a9165c4.jpg

Ya see? No need to have been intimidated. Good deal!

(Capsaicin (the element responsible for pepper heat) often mellows as time passes. The shorter cooked trimmings would be punchier than the longer cooked ribs.)

Those look great Bob, I have 4 racks finishing up myself. I used very light rub this time, as I used the BRITU a couple weeks ago and they were way too salty for our taste.

I used a light coating of Obiecue, but saucing mine now...they've been cooking a bit over 5 hours, and they look juicy and tender, I didn't foil at all...cooking at about 240 the whole time...these were pretty big racks. mmmm...mmmm...mmmm seeing your ribs is making me even more hungry...

EDIT: removing pic, so not to distract Bob's thread.
icon_smile.gif

Looks good.

It's amazing how I can just eat dinner, swing by the forum, and be hungry again after looking at pics like these.

After I eat the loin backs in the fridge, I'm just giong to have to do spares again. All the talk about them lately really has me charged for some.

That's some good looking food right there.

Back