First Spareribs

Bill Rickert

TVWBB Fan
Getting ready for my first rib cook. I have 2 slabs of spareribs, total weight around 6.5lbs. I'm going to use the Kansas City Sweet and Smokey rub. How long should I let the rub set before the cood? Is overnight ok? Also, is it necessary to baste? I'd rather leave the lid down as much as possible and glaze at the end.

It would depend on the salt content of the rub. Rubs with salt, left on ribs overnight, will typically develop a "hammy" taste-- the salt actually partially cures the meat.

My own basting basically consists of a spray bottle of cider vinegar. I use it at the 3, 4.5 and 5.5 hour marks, glazing at 30 minutes before the finish, which is usually about 6.5 hours for spares at 235-250°. The top is only off about 30 seconds per session-- not time enough to destabilize the temperature.

I don't find rubbing the night before to be beneficial and can be detrimental, depending on salt levels. Rub before you go out to get the cooker ready.

Basting is not necessary at all, imo.

Thanks for the responses. I'll let the rub set for a couple hours in the fridge. I probably will baste this time. I've got some cider and apple sauce that should do the trick.

I've got several flavors of wood. The local (50 miles) supplier carries Chigger Creek brand. They are small chunks. I think Hickory or Pegan and Apple. I've read 4 chunks for ribs so I'll have to improvise on size. I assume chunks are considered about fist size.

One last question. I started to remove the membrane, but when I lifted the edge, there was bare bone under it. Did the butcher possibly remove the membrane already and this is the under layer, holding things together?

There is indeed a "secondary" membrane you do not want to remove-- the ribs will end up falling apart. Being able to discern if you are looking at such is only achievable through experience. If in doubt, leave it alone, or, using a sharp knife, score the bone side of the rack diagonally in about a 1" diamond pattern. I have, on a couple of rare occasions, purchased trimmed spare ribs that have had their membrane already removed. Spares purchased in cryovac will not likely be so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Rickert:
One last question. I started to remove the membrane, but when I lifted the edge, there was bare bone under it. Did the butcher possibly remove the membrane already and this is the under layer, holding things together? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has happened to me also. I thought I was the only one.
icon_smile.gif
Just try to start lifting the membrane from another spot and you should be able to get it off. I always have managed to remove it from my spares.

Jim

If you've never removed the membrane before it can be a bit tricky. The membrane you want to remove is very thin and delicate. The other membrane that actually covers the bone also hold the rack together. Remove that and the racks gonna fall apart on you.

As for the missing membrane, it does happen. I buy all of my spares in cryovac and every one in a while I'll get a rack that's missing the membrane. Wish they'd all come like that!

Thanks everyone. Glad to here I'm not the only one fail butcher 101. I've got a new problem now. My wife is in the hospital, tomorrow will be the third day in the fridge, and I probably will not be able to get the cook going.

I guess the worst case is I will use this as a test cook, or at least a test prep and start over. I'll try to get away tomorrow, but it doesn't look good. By the way, my wife is in ICU but were over the crisis. She'll be fine barring any more bumps in the road. Probably in a room tomorrow and then a few days of getting her back to going home shape.

Bill, sorry to hear your wife is under the weather. Why not pop that meat into the freezer to use when you can concentrate on the cook? I'll bet it will be fine, even if it has rub on it.

Best wishes to your wife. Hope she'll be back to her old self in no time.

Rita

Sorry to hear about the Wife Bill, hope She get's home soon and it well.
If you don't have time to smoke 'em, and don't want to freeze 'em, just toss them in the oven at 230-240 and let them slow roast in there. They will not have the smoke flavor, but will be something to eat when you come home. Best wishes to both of you.

Thanks for the kind words. My wife is home now, and so am I. I spent my time at the hospital, so oven cooking was out and they had already been frozen once. When I got home my step=daughter said she saved those ribs in the fridge. They were marianating and she was going to put them in the oven. I told her how long they had been there (thawed out on Sunday, Oct 2) but she said they passed the smell test. I think I will pass on that meal.

I think by next weekend, I will try a couple more bb's and I have a brisket in the freezer. Since this is only my second smoke, I'm kind of nervous about the brisket. Seems it might take a little practice to get this meat down proper. I'll keep trying till I get it. Cookin's half the fun!

I'd pass on those ribs also. Not worth going back into the hospital for $20.00 worth of meat. BTW, glad to hear your wife is home and doing well.

As for the brisket. This is one tough cut of meat to master. Don't get discouraged if your first cook doesn't come out quite the way you'd like it to. Just learn from your mistakes and keep on trying. I've cooked many of them and am still learning.

Back