First smoke went well... got question on where to put WSM

Tom Stratton

TVWBB Member
My first smoke went well (2 Pork Butts), put in 9:00 Saturday, took out 1:30 Sunday. The WSM is amazing at holding temps for as long as it does.
I have a question though......on what surface to most of the WSM's get used on. Not giving it too much thought, I set it on my deck where the gasser is. All worked out well, but was I safe? Should it go on top of some type of grill pad?

At some point, you will have a cook where grease will seep out of one or more of the bottom vents. On a wood deck, an oil drip pan or the like is a very good idea-- two in fact, or a large one, so you have somewhere to set the lid as well. I use mine either on a concrete patio or a concrete pad outside a side garage door.

I would definately put it on something. I use my WSM on a wood deck, and have a concrete grill pad I found at Home Depot a few years ago. It is rectangular and provides enough room to have the WSM and hold it's lid when I need to set it down.
Jamie

I keep mine in the garage when not in use. It's on a treated lumber rolling platform. I just roll it out to the driveway and fire it up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
I keep mine in the garage when not in use. It's on a treated lumber rolling platform. I just roll it out to the driveway and fire it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do we have pics of the rolling platform? Sounds interesting

No pics on hand. Just made a wood base about 2 x 2, put decking board on top. Used 4" castors. It sits the WSM up about 6" higher. I am looking for a handle to put on it right now to pull it around.

Home Depot sells these plastic mats for grills. They cost an arm and a leg though. I have been using an old piece of wonder board if I Q on the deck. Most of the time I drag it out of the garage and leave it on the driveway.

I use a round metal pan designed for putting under hot water heaters. Costs a buck or two at any store that sells hot water heaters. Keeps the grease and and hot embers that drop off of my deck. For overnight cooks (particularly if there is going to be wind) I usually move the smoker out into the grass in the very unlikely event it were to fall over.

-Matt

Tom,

I have my WSM on my cedar deck on which I made a pad by placing a series of left over pavers from my sidewalk. The pavers are 2 1/2" thick and I made the pad big enough that I can use my chimney starter on it. If I ever need more room, I can add more pavers. Works great. Also, the material is porous enough to soak up any spills.

Back