First smoke starting.........now!

Amy G. (Momo)

TVWBB Member
I'm just starting my first smoke on my new WSM 18. I've got two boneless pork shoulders, about 4 lbs each, just started the fire and put them on. A basic rub, and half hickory / half apple wood chunks.
DSCN0296.jpg

The smoker is sitting on concrete pavers I bought at Home Depot this week. A square of 4 16" pavers plus two 8 x 16 pavers off to the side, so the total area is 32 x 40, with the extra space off to the right so I could have a heat-proof place to set things down, like the chimney. I also put a disposable foil oven liner below the WSM to cover the seams directly below.
DSCN0297.jpg

Temp is sitting at 237 or so, and I've done nothing so far except follow the excellent instructions I've found at VWB.
icon_smile.gif

Back with more later.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks. I started the message when I got up this morning, but didn't actually fire it up until a couple of hours later.

Must go peek at the thermometer, though.

MMMMMMMMM!! lookin' REALLY good Amy! Let us know how they came out! Did you inject them as well? Great idea on the pavers!! I may just have to borrow that one! Thanks!

Dont really think you need the pavers.(under the smoker) Mine is sitting on a wood deck and never had a problem. Like the extra area for the chimney though. You are off to a great start! Looking forward to this one.

Dont chase temps,If you make a change with the vents dont toutch em in 30 min. And Like Chuck said no peeking!

Bet it will turn out FANTASTIC!!!!
icon_smile.gif

I did not inject them. I'll let you know how the pavers work out for the rest of the day, but it sure was nice to have a place to rest that chimney and the smoker lid. The pavers are really heavy, not so nice carrying them from the garage to the deck. The Home Depot guy was nice enough to load them into the car for me.
icon_biggrin.gif
Then they stayed there until hubby came home from work.

Here's a better pic of the paver setup.
DSCN0298.jpg

Later in the day I'm hoping to add a rack with a couple of beer can chickens and maybe some potatoes to roast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...I'm hoping to add a rack with a couple of beer can chickens and maybe some potatoes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yep, you'll need all that good barbecue once your neighbors catch drift of what's happening on your deck...
looks nice and sunny down there in KYUSA... here we get rain and rain... another 90 minutes before i start my ribs.
did i mention rain?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway Momo, Lookin' forward to your finished photos!

I'm sure I'll be smoking in the rain at some point. Whenever I grill in bad weather I can't help thinking about Elvis and the cold KY rain.

Mmm. Ribs. Had some last week, probably a bit too much.

I've turned the butts and basted a little, waiting for the temp to get back in the zone. Off to figure out what else we're eating tonight. So far I've got green beans going in the slow cooker. I'm thinking one of my chickens will be on a can of root beer, and I'll put together a root beer glaze for my picky teenager who refuses to eat BBQ sauce or anything containing ketchup.

Great way to break in that WSM Amy. I'll have pork with a side of chicken please.

Don't ignore your Smokey Joe now that you have a WSM.

Amy, good luck on the cook. I'd pass on the basting. Don't think it adds anything to butt plus every time you open the lid it just increases your cook time.Once I put butts on the grill I don't look at them again till they hit a certain temp. I then start checking for tenderness which is the REAL indication of being done

I put the chickens on and a few baking potatoes. Daughter hid her camera, so no thrilling shots of raw chicken at the moment.

Pork butt #1 is at 140, butt #2 at 160. So they will likely be removed at different times.

*waves to paul* I narrowly avoided a meeting for work in Owensboro next week. That would have been within shouting distance!

I won't be using Smokey Joe for the next few days. Tomorrow's dinner will be ribeyes on the gas grill, maybe some sauteed Vidalias with it.

That's just like my setup Amy! I've got 4 12 inch pavers arranged in a square. One off to the side for the chimney. It's worked great for 3 years now.

Looks like I underestimated the charcoal required for the cook time. The temp is dipping and the vents aren't helping. I need another hour or two, so I lit a few more piece in the chimney. Crossing my fingers now!

The replacement coals are lit and temp is fine, but I'm getting tempted to move everything indoors to the regular oven. My nice sunny day suddenly turned into heavy rain. And I'm hungry!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amy G. (Momo):
I put the chickens on and a few baking potatoes. Daughter hid her camera, so no thrilling shots of raw chicken at the moment.

Pork butt #1 is at 140, butt #2 at 160. So they will likely be removed at different times.

*waves to paul* I narrowly avoided a meeting for work in Owensboro next week. That would have been within shouting distance!

I won't be using Smokey Joe for the next few days. Tomorrow's dinner will be ribeyes on the gas grill, maybe some sauteed Vidalias with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to go to Owensboro when they have their BBQ festival. I believe it was last weekend. I don't go because waaaaaaay to many choices for me to make.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You need to go to Owensboro when they have their BBQ festival. I believe it was last weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As long as I can get BBQ that's not mutton. lol

I gave up. Pouring rain and not enough charcoal, so I moved indoors when the smoker temp dipped down to 175. Nearly made it, though!

Back