first smoke plan - brisket

DavidSF

TVWBB Member
Hello again,

I now have everything I need (except the meat) to try my first smoke. I want to try my first smoke this Thursday. I plan on using some "premium" brisket from Prather Ranch. They only sell brisket in 3-4lbs packs so I'll be smoking a 3-4 lbs. brisket that doesn't have much fat.

I've research this site and my plan is below. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
David

- Add "Modified Louis Charles Henley's All-Purpose Rub" to both sides of brisket
- Fill Weber chimney starter with Lazzari mesquite wood charcoal and lite using newspapers per Prof. Wiviott's method using newspapers.
- Put lit charcoal in WSM
- Fill water pan with hot water and put in WSM
- Insert meat probe of ET-73 in brisket
- Put brisket on "middle grate" (between charcoal grate and "top grate")
- Put smoker chamber probe of ET-73 on "top grate"
- Monitor temps
- Keep smoker temp within 225-250°F range.
- Keep meat temp within 165-170°F range
- Smoke for 4 hours and flip brisket
- Smoke another 4 hours for 8 hours total
- Fork test brisket and remove brisket when "fork tender."
- Wrap brisket in alumnium foil and wait 1 hour
- Slice and serve

Does this sound like a good plan? Am I missing something?

I still have trouble getting brisket right. For a first smoke I suggest the other white meat, unless you have something against pork. Go with the Mr. Brown recipe on the main page.

The WSM does perform better after a couple of uses. It gets a light coating of grease and ash on the inside which seems to insulate it a bit and also seal better against drafts.

First off, its always good to have a plan. That way you can modify it next time if something isn't quite right.

As for the meat, 3-4 lbs is a small piece of brisket. Given that its also going to be well trimmed, I think you're leaving yourself open to drying that little beast out. I would consider using foil and adding some sort of liquid when you foil. Start with beef stock of some sort. I've never cooked one that small before, and I've never had one that didn't have a good amount of fat on it.

I guess the other thing I might think about is cooking a little hotter. This might speed it through the rendering zone a little faster, thus compromising some tenderness, but flavor should be great and MAYBE it'll retain some juices. Just slice it a little thinner when serving.

Those are just some thoughts, but like I said initially, its good that you have a plan and work from there to improve your product.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

David,

I normally get my smaller flats to about 160-165 internal, then foil ( w/liquid) and put back on the smoker or finish in the oven (@265) . I pull mine at 200 degrees. Let rest in a cooler wrapped in towels for a min of one hour. They come out great... Let us know how it goes

I agree with Jim unless you want to spring straight out there, and tackle the hardest to get right, from the start I would start with pork or pork or pork.

Though if you have done all your research, and are sure about your fire control for 8 - 10 hours, don't forget the plateau at 160 - 165 degrees, this is often the point that most get into trouble, thinking that things have gone wrong and they need to take it off, thinking it is either cooked and done or there is something wrong with their cooker.

I looked last night at some USDA choice @ $1.50 /lb untriwmed, butts were $1.56 /lb. the packer was going to be 13 - 15 hours, the butts done in 8 - 10, I grabbed butt, it will go in today and be dinner tonight, it was a long enough day yesterday with everything going on, that I would have had to get up before I went to bed, if I wanted the packer cooked for dinner tonight.

By the time the packer was trimmed it would be around $1.83 /lb and so if you want cheaper practise the pork looks better.

Joe and Stu:

I'm a little confused about foiling. Should I wrap the brisket in foil before smoking for 8 hours; or take the brisket out at hour 7, foil, and smoke 1 more hour?

Also not sure how to add water to the foil...are there instructions somewhere?

Thanks,
David

p.s. it may not be perfect, but I figure my first smoke will be edible, and I love brisket (more than pork).

David--

The step to which Joe and Stu refer occurs when the brisket reaches an internal temp of 160-165 and has nothing to do with time. (In fact, though time can be used as a guideline to determine how long something might take to cook, planning a cook based solely on time--cook for x amount of hours--often doesn't work well.) Their suggestion is to allow the flat to cook till this internal temp is reached (I'd go with 160 since you'll be cooking a small, well-trimmed flat) and then foiling it with the addition of a little liquid (beef stock, chicken stock, water, juice, a blend), about 1/4 c should be sufficient (just pour it over the brisket once it is in the foil and before sealing it up), then returning to the cooker to finish cooking--again, a specific time is not warranted. Cook till the internal temps are in the 180s then test with a probe or fork for tenderness. If not yet tender, cook till the internal rises 3-4 more degrees and test again. Repeat if needed.

It is easier to get to the brisket if it is on the top rack so I would cook it there instead of the lower grate. The grate probe can be placed halfway between the meat and the edge of the grate.

I agree with Joe to cook in a hotter temp though I do not think tenderness is at all compromised. Imo, most briskets do not contain sufficient internal marbling to warrant cooking at very low temps and quicker cooking usually results in a better final result.

David,

Ditto what Kevin said. It's not neccesarly a time issue but a temp issue. Take your "unfoiled" brisket off at 160-165 internal temp. Make a foil "boat"...I use a cookie sheet and run the foil up around the edges to keep the liquid from running all over. I mix (my preference) about a 1/4 cup apple juice with a lil' worchestershire sauce. Wrap it tightly and send it back to the smoker until a 200 degree internal. Sometimes I use my oven (@265)to speed things up a bit, or if the weather got nasty during the cook. As far as a time guideline goes, the one I cooked Sunday went on at 1:30p, foiled it around 6:00, and took out of my oven at about 7:30P when it hit exactly 200 internal. "It was awesome"!. Enjoy and again let us know how it turns out.

P.S- I recently started adding a little Durkee's "Grill Seasoning" to my brisket rub, normally I make my own and don't add a pre-made rub, but I found it gives the brisket a extra flavor kick. Good Luck!

I agree with Jim and Chris. Chose an other meat. Other than that, you have some really good advice here and I'm sure you'll get something eatable out of your first cook. Brisket is a tough cook but maybe first time's a charm.

Also, I would fill the ring and light off about 30 coals to get it going (minion method). Even if it's too much charcoal, you'll know you're not going to run out or have temp problems from not enough fuel.

I also wouldn't use mesquite charcoal. Can't you get some lump or kingsford? That and a couple chunks of oak would be better than mesquite imho.

David
prof Wiviott is going to be very upset that you came here and asked these questions but that aside.

Cooking a 3-4 pound flat if doesn't have a good fat cap can be a very dry finished product. The foiling stage that was suggested will give you a chance for moist brisket.

I would also suggest not using mesquite charcoal but that is a personel choice. One chimney of charcoal also may not be enought fuel to last all the way through the cook.

Your temp range for the pit is fine but there is no need to try to keep the flat in the 165 to 170 internal range, the flat will leave that range once enough connective tissue has broken down.

If I were you I would leave the brisket fat side down the whole cook to allow the fat take brunt of the heat as rises through the pit.

There are number of good techniques cooking brisket, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jim

I really don't think a 3 to 4 pound brisket will take 8 hours to cook. I've had 8 pound briskets finish in 7 hours at 250 lid temp.

Since it would appear to be a well trimmed brisket try putting a few slices of bacon across the top when you start. It will help keep the brisket moist by basting as it cooks.

Thanks Kevin and Stu. I've revised my plan as follows:

- Add "Modified Louis Charles Henley's All-Purpose Rub" to both sides of brisket
- Fill Weber chimney starter with Lazzari mesquite wood charcoal and lite using newspapers per Prof. Wiviott's method using newspapers.
- Put brisket on top grate
- Put smoker chamber probe of ET-73 on top grate between meat and edge of grate.
- Monitor temps
- Remove brisket when temp reaches 160°F
- Wrap brisket in aluminum foil with 1/4 cup of water poured on top.
- Put brisket back in smoker.
- When brisket reaches 180°F test for "fork tenderness"
- If not "fork tender" repeat with temp 3-4 degrees higher and repeat until "fork tender"
- Remove brisket when "fork tender" and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Slice and serve

Thoughts? Comments?

thanks,
David

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DavidSF:
Thanks Kevin and Stu. I've revised my plan as follows:

- Half fill the charcoal ring with Lazzari mesquite wood charcoal, leave a little dip in the middle to add my started charcoal to!
- Put brisket on top grate
- Put smoker chamber probe of ET-73 on top grate between meat and edge of grate.
- Monitor temps
- Remove brisket when temp reaches 160°F
- Wrap brisket in aluminum foil with 1/4 cup of water poured on top.
- Put brisket back in smoker.
- When brisket reaches 180°F test for "fork tenderness"
- If not "fork tender" repeat with temp 3-4 degrees higher and repeat until "fork tender"
- Remove brisket when "fork tender" and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Slice and serve

Thoughts? Comments?

thanks,
David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will need a bed of un-lit charcoal or your fire will be going out after about 2 hours, but you don't need a full ring of charcoal or it will cook for 12 hours.

David,

Only comment I have on your revised plan is to use something other than plain water for the liquid. Canned beef broth, apple juice with rub/sauce, premade marinades, your own marinade...something in the liquid that has a flavor element to it.

After this cook, seek out a whole packer brisket. Then the fun REALLY starts!

David,
Good plan, at first you need to do some smokes until the WSM is "seasoned". Once it is seasoned the temps will be more steady. I prefer my own rub to anything any packaged. Mr. Brown is a good start. CAUTION: Smoking IS addictive!

Back