First Smoke on the WSM last night

DavidW

Wow! That was so easy. Thanks to all the information here and on the main site about Minion Method and vents, it was flawless. My son (almost 5) and I put the smoker together last night before dinner and got it running before he went to bed.

I put a Pork Shoulder and a Beef Cross Rib Roast on the top grate and let it go all night. I've done many pulled porks on my old Bradley so I wasn't worried about that however never doing a Cross Rib, I decided to just rub it and throw it on.

We loaded up the charcoal pan with 3/4 of 20 lb bag of Blue Kingsford, about 6 or 7 Hickory Chunks, and 10 hours later for the Beef (to 190ish) and 12 hours on the pork to (200ish), everything was done. The only thing I should have done is not rushed the beef and brined it overnight. However it was all spur of the moment and I really didn't want to wait.

So with that said, thanks again for all the information! I am completely sold on the Weber, the Minion Method, and my pulled meats.

Happy to hear things went well. Sounds like it won't be long till your second cook.
icon_smile.gif

Hi Dave,
Congrats on your first smoke! I'm interested in how your cross rib roast came out. Did you use the shredded beef recipe on this site - was it a boneless roast etc?

Thanks

Thanks!

Recipe? No, both were complete spur of the moment throw together ideas. On the way home I stopped and got what ever was big and not expensive. The cross rib was going to be cooked to 160 with a cowboy rub on it. I snoozed when the alarm went off and missed the 160 mark, so I said what ever and made it a go to the 190 area and pulled it. It's really good! I'm glad I decided to go that route.

The pork was rubbed with John Henry's Rassberry Chipotle rub. It was lightly rubbed, I've had it of powering before and didn't want it to have the cough syrup flavor. It was perfect! Just enough berry flavor.

Congrats on your first successful smoke with your WSM David. The only thing I can see that that went wrong was that you were missing the photos. lol.

Back