First smoke on new WSM

I drank the root beer... in the cans were 8oz chicken stock, 2 cloves garlic (smashed) and red onion slices. I used a rub from Paul Kirk's book that has no sugar.

I pulled the birds off at 180f and should have left them on just a bit longer. Not as tender as I would have liked. I used Hickory and did not like it as well so will stick with apple.

But temp control was so easy compared to my side box!!! SO for a first smoke, I am very pleased.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I pulled the birds off at 180f and should have left them on just a bit longer. Not as tender as I would have liked. I used Hickory and did not like it as well so will stick with apple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I can see on the photo, it looks like you didn't soak the wood chips. Therefore they may have burned rather than smoldered, which could have put off a bitter smoke taste. You should soak your wood chips for at least a half hour. Wood chunks don't need to be soaked, but chips do.

Just a thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I used Hickory and did not like it as well so will stick with apple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not suprising, I would stay away from hickory alone for poultry. Maybe 2:1 apple/hickory would be okay, but you can't go wrong with apple for any meat.

Frank, you are correct. I usually do soak them, but read somewhere not to, so I tried it. I should have stuck to it and soaked them.

Sheldon, I wouldn't use wood chips in the WSM. I use wood chunks, usually fist size or smaller, and don't soak them. The thing you read about not soaking was probably about wood chunks. Wood chips burn up pretty quickly, soaked or not.

If I don't have any chunks available, I soak some chips and mix them throughout the coals and get just as good a smoke as if I'd used chunks. It took me a while to find cherry chunks around here and I've been using the chips for a couple of months now.

I don't know if soaking makes a huge difference, but mixing them well throughout your coals does.

You can use chips in a WSM and there's no need to soak them. Make a pouch out of HD foil and put them in it - packed fairly well but not tight tight. Seal the packet opening, put a small hole on one of the flat sides, about the size of a pencil, and place the packet hole side up directly on the lit. The chips will smolder due to the air restriction in the packet once they heat well.

I have an old and rather large apple tree in my back yard. Is there a certain way to "cure" or dry the wood for smoking? I know you are not supposed to use it green.

Back