First Smoke on my 22.5 WSM Port-a-Pit Chicken

Kevin

Fired up my new WSM 22.5 today for the first time since receiving it Monday. Thanks to all of you on these boards, i got a lot of very useful information by reading these threads, which was particularly helpful since i have never cooked with charcoal before.

Being originally from Northern Indiana, one of the staples there is Port-a-Pit chicken. Nelsons is the company that makes it up there. Their smoking pits continually baste the chicken in a butter mixture throughout the smoking process and the final product is this incredibly smokey and flavorful chicken that is an amazing experience. When I moved to Indianapolis i found that nobody here has heard of it. So i did some research and did my best to imitate this awesome bird.

I did 2 half chickens and 6 drumsticks. marinaded them overnight in the butter mixture. removed them about an hour or so before putting them on the cooker and re-boiled the butter mixture. Put the butter mixture on the cooking grate along with all the chicken pieces. Every 10-15 minutes i gave each piece a bath in the butter mixture. This probably elongated the cooking time, but in order to replicate port-a-pit, it was necessary...and i tried to do this step as quickly as possible. The chicken turned out great, the drumsticks on the half chickens were right on point with the port-a-pit flavor I was looking for....sorry for the length of this post
icon_smile.gif

IMG_4437.jpg

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4444.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

Hi,
Your chicken looks fantastic. I live down in North Carolina and we use a dip for chicken sort of like you describe may i ask the cook what is in his recipe? This is the one we use:

2 lemons cut in half
1 Quart White House Cider Vinegar
1 Quart Water
1/2 cup Butter (1 stick)
1 tablespoon Black Pepper
Salt to Taste

Bring to a Boil in a Pot with a Lid

This recipe which is used by most in this region of the country is printed in a book called Holy Smoke. I have not tried it yet since like you i have only had the WSM about a week. That is great looking bird though.

Originally posted by JTodd:
Hi,
Your chicken looks fantastic. I live down in North Carolina and we use a dip for chicken sort of like you describe may i ask the cook what is in his recipe? This is the one we use:

2 lemons cut in half
1 Quart White House Cider Vinegar
1 Quart Water
1/2 cup Butter (1 stick)
1 tablespoon Black Pepper
Salt to Taste

Bring to a Boil in a Pot with a Lid

This recipe which is used my most in this region of the country is printed in a book called Holy Smoke. I have not tried it yet since like you i have only had the WSM about a week. That is great looking bird though.

that recipe is similar to the one i used....ours was:

1C water
1C white vinegar
1 lb. butter
4T Kosher Salt
4T Woechestershire Sauce
1T Pepper
1T Onion powder
1T Garlic Powder

for my batch i doubled the recipe since i was doing a lot of chicken....

Kevin, those look awesome!!
icon_eek.gif

Great job.

How long did you cook it before it was done?

Looks really good.

Originally posted by Craig Cole:
I need to try this chicken. Very tasty looking. GOod Job.

the key is to give the chicken a bath every 10-15 minutes in the butter mixture....it extends cooking time a bit, but it's worth it

kevin this looks awesome can u give more details as far as temps and cooking times? and a step by step recipe so i can try it? I know nothing of cooking chicken on wsm sadly enough

Thanks for the post! I grew up around Ft. Wayne, IN and can remember getting port-a-pit chicken at fairs and fund raisers. My WSM in new to me as well, I can't wait to try to replicate the recipe you posted!

Originally posted by Michael Cowley:
kevin this looks awesome can u give more details as far as temps and cooking times? and a step by step recipe so i can try it? I know nothing of cooking chicken on wsm sadly enough

cooking temp for the cook started at about 225 and got up as high as about 260, but mostly stayed in the 240 range. the drumsticks were done after about 2 hours and the half chickens were done at about the 3.5 hour mark

the standard recipe for the basting liquid is:

1C Water
1C white vinegar
1 lb. butter
4T woeschestershire sauce
4T kosher salt
1T black pepper
1T onion powder
1T garlic powder

I doubled that recipe. I put all the ingredients in a large pot and brought it to a boil, then turned the heat down and simmered for about 20-30 minutes. then removed from heat and let it cool, which took a while. once cooled i then put all the chicken pieces into the pot and let it all sit together, covered, in the fridge overnight. about 1.5 hours before i wanted to start cooking the chicken, i took all the pieces out of the pot and placed them on a large serving plate. i then re-boiled the liquid in the pot and once that was done simmering for about 30 minutes, i let it cool for like 30 more minutes before pouring into the foil pan you see in the photos. then i started the cook. you gotta baste the chicken every 10 minutes during the cook, which elongated the cooking time, but the end result was very much worth it....

There is a town not far from here that serves port-a-pit chicken every year as a fair/fund raiser. Oh my goodness! The whole town smells like BBQ chicken for a day and a half! Absolutely amazing when you open up the door of the truck to get out! DROOL!

That is some excellent chicken. I may try this with beer can chicken. Would there be a problem with substituting beer for the 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water?

Originally posted by Brian Zimmerman:
That is some excellent chicken. I may try this with beer can chicken. Would there be a problem with substituting beer for the 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water?

not sure about the substitution....i can tell you, though, that half chickens are the way to go for this chicken for some reason....i tried it previously with a whole chicken and the results weren't as good....plus it was more challenging to give the whole chicken a bath in the butter mixture....i also used a different smoker for the whole chicken

i then re-boiled the liquid in the pot and once that was done simmering for about 30 minutes, i let it cool for like 30 more minutes before pouring into the foil pan you see in the photos. then i started the cook. you gotta baste the chicken every 10 minutes during the cook, which elongated the cooking time, but the end result was very much worth it....

Is this OK from a food safety standpoint? Does reboiling liquid that touched raw chicken make it OK to use to base?

Back