First smoke on 22.5 WSM (Hee HA)

Andy Beers

TVWBB Diamond Member
I am going to try out my WSM tomorrow, just recieved it on wednesday. I am doing 4 racks of BB,s and a beer can chicken.It is going to rain but can't let the weather dictate.I hope they turn out close to some i,ve seen on here. Any advice would be appriciated.

Awesome site
Thanks Andy

Read this thread, it's a great place to start.

Most important thing is not to over think things.
Catch your temp on the way up and wait 1/2hr after any vent changes you make to allow things to level out. Have fun

Andy, keep dry. Fill up the coal ring, get a good supply of liquid refreshment, put the meat on, sit back and enjoy. I really like cooking on my WSM 22.
What is your plan of attack, cook temp meat placement etc?

Mark

All meat on top rack. Give ribs and chicken a spicy dry rub, apple wood from tree in back for smoke. ribs for 4.5hrs chicken for 3.5hrs or whatever it takes to get to 170degrees.Sauce for last 20 minutes.Rest for 1/2 hour, get another beer and enjoy (Hopefully)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Beers:
All meat on top rack. Give ribs and chicken a spicy dry rub, apple wood from tree in back for smoke. ribs for 4.5hrs chicken for 3.5hrs or whatever it takes to get to 170degrees.Sauce for last 20 minutes.Rest for 1/2 hour, get another beer and enjoy (Hopefully) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds like a winner. I rarely cook BB, usually StLouis trim spares. I like them flate on the grate and so 3 is max. Chicken for me would have to have it's own grate.

Good luck, let us know how it all turns out.

Mark

Sounds like you have a good plan... Can't wait to hear how everything turns out. I'm still a newbie but if I were you I would put your chicken on the bottom rack and the ribs on the top!

Thanks for the advice I will likley try the chicken on the bottom rack. Hopefully all will turn out OK . I will let you all know.
Have a good day, Talk later

Back