First smoke......Kinda! With pics!

Brian C.

Well I got my WSM 18.5 yesterday; I have been smoking for about two years on my buddy’s WSM and have done a few KCBS comps with him as well. The last comp, my wife came along and got excited about smoking and gave me the go ahead to get my own smoker. I have used my kettle prior to this to smoke on.

2013-07-24115237_zpsbffc6a4b.jpg

I got home and put her together first thing, it went together in about 20mins. After putting it together I had to smoke something. So the only thing I could do in the timeframe I had was chicken.

I put half a chimney unlit in and then 1/3 of lit on top of it with three soaked chunks of hickory. I put the water pan in and hooked up my IQ110 and set it to 275. While it was coming up to temp, I prepped my chicken.

2013-07-24174229_zpsc9ac46f2.jpg

I went with two thighs and two breasts as that was what I had in my freezer and the only rub I had, our rib rub. I didn’t do the competition prep on the thighs, just thawed them out and rubbed them up both sides, same with the breasts.

Put them on the smoker at 270-275F for about 1.75h. I temp’d the breasts and they were about 5F over. I quickly sauced them by dipping and put them back on for 5mins to set the glaze. Then took them off and shut everything down.

2013-07-24182944_zpsbbf6c60d.jpg

They came out looking good for the first smoke and not doing any prep work to anything, meat, rub, or sauce. They had a wonderful smoky flavor, but they were overdone and a bit dry. The rib rub was way to overpowering and the wife and I found ourselves consuming a good bit of wine to calm the heat.

2013-07-24201127_zps407a9e2d.jpg

All in all it was a great first smoke. I do have a lot of leaking out of the rim of the lid, to the point that I had to do a foil gasket, but I’m thinking that after a few more smokes that won’t be a problem. Also I need to drill holes for my leads for the probes, just didn’t have time for that last night, so no hard time about running them in through the door! Haha. Thanks for listening guys!

Very nice smoke Brian, welcome to the board. My sweetheart and I tend to drink a lot of beer or wine with my cooks, not sure if we need to but we do. It appears that you have a lot of experience and many toys to play with. Very successful first cook on the WSM, congratulations!

Yeah, I have a few toys, WSM 18.5, 18.5 kettle, 22 kettle, Gas portable, and two burner gas no-name. Two IQ110's, and a Maverick.

James, yes it was a nice first smoke. I was a bit disapointed that I ran them too long and dried them out, but being the first smoke on this one and trying to do other things at the same time, I'll let it slide just once.

RBanks, my comp team partner lives down in VB.

Welcome to the forum. I just have one question. Does that plastic bowl at the top of the bird feeder actually keep the squirrels out of it.

Does anyone ever just run leads for the probes through the top vent? that's what I do, is that a no no or is it ok?

Jeff

Jeff, you certainly could run your leads through the top vent, that's what I do with my kettles when I'm running them as smokers. The problem with doing that on the WSM is that there is nowhere to hang the lid off the side of the unit like the kettles. Because of this you have to disconnect and reconnect your leads each time you have to take the lid off. This is why you see most people that are running ATC's modifying grommets in the side of the WSM, they can then run the leads directly into the rack and not have to mess with them through the entire smoke. Hope this helped!

Tony, I will certainly do that! Thanks for the heads up.

Back