First Smoke - Issues

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Lessard:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Geez I'm almost feeling guilty using only about 2 chimneys of unlit lump with 6 lit on my kettle to cook a 10lb butt. I don't think I could afford to use a WSM with our charcoal prices in Canada. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are our charcoal prices in Canada a lot higher than in the US? I paid about $1/lb for Maple Leaf briquettes at RONA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to start, regardless of price question. You can re-use, relight lump. No matter how much you use at the end of the cook shut all vents and close things down to let the fire go out. Next day or whenever pick out the leftover and throw in a pail and use them for your next cook/s.

Low ash of lump makes this easy.

As far as pricing in Canada - Have no clue. But when I get back up there I'm going to try to bring back some Maple Leaf. Just to avoid the shipping costs and the high retail on it here at "per bag" pricing.

In Canada - do they not have wholesale opportunity? In this are there no what we call in the US, roller mills or feed mills that are typically found in rural or semi rural areas?

These places here sell into the farming semi-commerical businesses but are also open to the public.

Lump charcoal is used a lot for blacksmithing, metalworking, farming, restaurants as a fuel for varous purposes. These insitutions will sell you at wholesale prices if you are buying say 10 bags or so. It is significant as you are buying at first point of bulk delivery.

The other thing is - can you find someone that can buy from the given producer in Canada, say a pallet load and agree to all meet at a given spot and split it up? Seen that done here.

I have also seen where folks agree to order a pallet or more and have it delivered to a commercial location (could be a place where you work), parking lot. It's a drop ship.

Just some ideas.

I once bought, my favorite (Humphrey's) in the same town as the company. I simply went to a local grocery store and they were selling it for $7.90 bag. Loaded up 10 bags
icon_smile.gif
BTW - Humphrey's is no longer produced in PA for quite some time. It is made in the midwest and shipped to them by rail car loads. If I arrived at there location with a truck I could have loaded up a couple pallets, for purposes of example.

So Maple Leaf or other Canadian brand - I would suggest some creative method of working a bulk purchase rather than paying single bag retail pricing. It's worth the effort.

Hi Mike,
Welcome to TVWBB. You've gotten lots of good advice here and the only thing I'll add is that getting the best results from your WSM is a skill that you will improve with practice. Do not be disappointed if your first smoke or two (or three) does not work exactly as planned.

For the first few smokes it is probably better to monitor them a little more closely until you are confident that your smoker will do what you expect when not watched so closely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Lessard:

Are our charcoal prices in Canada a lot higher than in the US? I paid about $1/lb for Maple Leaf briquettes at RONA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can Tire has (had?) RO briqs $6.59 (reg price) for the 18lb bag. Don't think any left now but you can try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Trapp:
We can get 40 pounds of kingsford for less than $10 during holiday sales. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the one thing about Kingsford for sure - it's the cheapest briquette style fuel. Easy to watch and get for way low $$.

Once you decide to use lump, it can become more challenging to find lowest cost along with quality.

Cheapest lump charcoal is typically not the best IOW Cowboy and the like that is loaded with hardwood trim and even HW plywood scrap.

Best that you don't catch the disease and just use blue K briquettes
icon_smile.gif

Once you catch the lump bug - you will want to get creative and do the research to keep the costs in check. Bulk buying for lump is harder because the big handlers just don't carry it in quantity in the quality brands.

100% hardwood briquettes are a close second IMHO to lump. And Royal Oak is a fine one. I keep a couple bags on hand for my minion starts.

If I couldn't get good quality lump at wholesale prices I would be using hardwood briquettes like Royal Oak for the major fuel source. Very low ash just like loose lump and a nice natural smoke in and of itself. HW briquettes have the same advantage as loose lump in that they will light after being wet/damp and are also re-usable after you snuff the fire and save the unburnt fuel for future cooks.

If you stay with blue K and like it. None of this is an issue. You can get it so cheap that if a bag gets wet - who cares? It's so cheap it doesn't matter. Also for the same reason no need to be concerned about snuffing the fire or that you can't relight - it's so cheap that it really doesn't matter that it gets tossed.

My problem is I like the smell, light, and overall characteristics of loose lump that I never went back after changing up about 8 years ago. To me it's the closest you can get to using sticks, as in what folks with the big side fire box smokers use. AKA sticks of wood. I cooked with hardwood for a number of years and to me that's the ultimate. Loose lump is the closest to that IMHO.

Not going back to Blue K ever - but I'm a lump bigot waiting for a cure
icon_smile.gif

I love Humphrey's lump. But if I could find a regular wholesale source for Maple Leaf lump I just might be tempted to switch
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Mostly because I cooked with maple stick hardwood for a number of years and loved it. After that I cooked with sticks of PA cherry, it was a close second. Maple is my favorite as a general fuel source. Very opinionated, I admit. So don't anyone take this the wrong way
icon_smile.gif

Back