First Smoke and over thinking things already

Harry T

Hey Guys,

I am a proud new owner of a nice shinny 22 WSM. Tomorrow is the day I will show off my new toy to a bunch of friends but I don't want to screw this up. Got some questions and please excuse my ignorance as this is all new to me.

I will be smoking 8 slabs of baby backs, approximately 2 lbs per slab using the BRITU
method. So here are some questions I have:

Since its a new WSM, I have read that temps run a little high during the first couple of runs. How much charcoal should I use in the chimney and how many unlit bricks should I leave in the basket? The water door is not perfectly closing so will it effect anything?

Also related to that, which method should I start the charcoal with because the recipe calls for the smoker to stay lit and be on for one hour before I put the ribs in WSM.

All I have is hickory and apple wood chunks, how many of each should I use? I don't want to meat to have a heavy smoky flavor.

Should I rotate the position of the ribs from the upper and lower racks for even cooking?

Can I lay them flat or is it better to coil them?

What should be the approximate cooking time for this cook, as I prefer my sides to be nice and hot when we enjoy the ribs?

I don't care too much for "fall off the bone" so I'm not going to foil them. The recipe calls that I apply the sauce when they are done so I am going to stick with that.

I know I am over thinking this but thats just me, I want to get this right. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Harry,

First off, RELAX! I promise you will be fine!

I'm a newbie but have smoked ribs a few times. I have always used the 2,1,1 method which has always worked great for me. Fill up the ring and place about 20 briquettes in your chimney and use it to start the rest. Put 3-4 fist size chunks of wood around the edged of the ring and assemble the smoker. Are you going to use water in the pan? Set the bottom vents and the top vent wide open and put your ribs on. As the temps rise, start adjusting the bottom vents until things level off between 225-250. I spritz my ribs with apple juice every hour (read that somewhere!) to keep them moist.

Sit back, open up your favorite beverage, relax, and get ready for your friends to tell you how awesome you are!
icon_smile.gif

I'll check back tomorrow to see how things are going... If you have any questions just post them here!

I personally wouldn't sauce the ribs... If your worried about sauce, I would serve it on the side. What type of run are you using?

Im assuming Run is another word for bbq sauce
icon_smile.gif

I will be using the KC Masterpiece with Honey as per the instructions from the BRITU.

Originally posted by Jeff Langer:
I personally wouldn't sauce the ribs... If your worried about sauce, I would serve it on the side.
This is my sophomore year in BBQ. I've taken to doing the same thing, serving them unsauced off the smoker and putting the sauce on the side.
I find myself preferring to let the ribs speak for themselves.

Bob

harry, congrats on your recent delivery!
i would not worry too much about the WSM running higher than a used cooker, simply adjust your bottom vents to control your temps.
a temp of 275º is good... anywhere from 230 to 280 is fine.
I would start by filling your chamber 3/4 full with charcoal and a full chimney of lit coals on top.
if your excess door is out of whack, try bending it for a better fit, butt again, don't worry too much about that either.
shouldn't effect your cook too much.
once your WSM is fired-up and ready to go, no use waiting for the coals to die down, put your ribs on right away.
you can use both hickory and apple wood, i'd use about three chunks of each (more or less).
rotating the ribs from top to bottom grate i believe is not required...however, i think the top racks will cook faster butt not too much faster.
flat or rolled, doesn't matter, what ever way you prefer.
the amount of time that passes is not a gauge... to determine when my ribs are done, i stick a toothpick in the meat between bones...
if it goes in easily, they're probably done. another way i test for doneness, pick up one end with tongs to see if they'll tender.
if the ribs tend to break doing this, they're probably done.
I've cooked baby backs at 275º any where from 4 hours to 5 and a half hours in the same outside conditions. so time is not a factor i use.
yesterday, my cooker started and stayed at 210º for an hour or so, before it rose to 270º then stayed there for the 4.5 hour cook...
Saucing ribs is another personal preference, i like to most of the time. sometimes i'll sauce one rack and leave the other unsauced.

good luck with your cook! and i'll echo jeff's comment, relax. have fun and stop worrying. it's only food. no one gets hurt if it's not perfect.

Ok, this is an April's fools right?

Looks to me like you nailed it perfectly! That is one beautiful spread of food you guys put out.

So now that you've cut the ribbon on that smoker, your now gonna have to decide what's the next piece to try.

Russ

Looks great. I love the basic baby back rib rub. Try that one next or go for a pulled pork using Mr Brown.

you will never get bbq out again! At least not anywhere that dosen't have a pit with an old guy tending to it that has been there for 50 years.

Ya we had a lot of good eating food and obviously everyone over ate since they loved it so much.

I think next smoke will be some spare ribs 2 Sundays from now. I will be using the 3-1-1 for that one.

After then I'm planning on either pork butt or some sort of beef, well see.

Again, thanks for all the help, cannot wait for the next one.

I like to sauce when the ribs are done (Sweet Baby Rays is the family favorite) and then put them over medium direct heat on the kettle for a couple minutes each side, to get the sauce a little carmelized.

I don't like really wet ribs, but it does add a nice layer of flavor, and scorching it a bit blends it in, and keeps it a little "drier."

Back