First significant software update for SmokeFire on the way.

I think the issue some have mentioned about the fire going out if there is a gap in the pellet feed and not being able to automatically restart. But then I could be wrong as I have only been a semi interested bystander

I've experienced the non-start only upon initial startup when it was new and when I replaced the auger. Until yesterday. It happened again. Perhaps I was impatient and didn't wait long enough before closing the lid, but I had to go through the 15 minute shutdown procedure before restarting. I'm happy to see this update coming. I saw the iPhone app was updated today so hopefully that means the firmware update is out today or really soon. It's raining here so I'm not going to go check until tomorrow.

Ok so I updated the Weber Connect app and the firmware to the controller, I think it is really weird it updates in the background with no indication at all it’s working. However I followed Weber’s instructions and it worked the first time.
Looking forward to cooking some dinner tonight.

I know it says there’s no notification but how long until you noticed anything? Had mine on for 20 minutes and no clue that it’s doing anything.

I couldn’t get mine to update. Tried twice yesterday. When you hit shutdown, did you wait for it to tell you to power it off or just flip the switch right after?

I waited for it to go through shut down.

I was less than impressed with the process,

I turned off WiFi on my phone set the phone to stay open, opened the app and let it sit for fifteen minutes, shut it down and then turned it off for a minute,When I turned it back in it was good.

Thanks. I went out and repeated the process but let it go through the full shutdown which took over 15 minutes. Restarted it and the firmware was up to date. I'm surprised at the clunky firmware update process. I started it up and brought it up to 250 degrees. I didn't notice a huge difference. I don't have a lot of meat available to cook, so I won't be testing it out in the near future.

Good to see you back, it seems like the good old days when you were playing McGyver and the forum was booming. Now we are all locked up with nothing fun to cook.
I want a brisket but Costco is INSANE these days.

Did baby back ribs yesterday, which was the first cook since the update. Cooked at 225* for 6-7 hours total. Zero issues.

Today I threw on some burgers after my outdoor exercise (ie walking 18 holes of golf) and it went straight to 500* (where I had it set) in less than 10 minutes and stayed there.

So far so good.

Has anyone else noticed that since the firmware update that it takes a lot longer to get to the initial temp? Both yesterday and today I set the temp to 250* and started it up. It quickly rose to 220* and then dropped back to 190* before slowly going back up. In all it took 35 minutes to get to 250*. I was reverse searing filet mignons yesterday and pork chops today and, after I brought to meats to my target temp, I bumped the SmokeFire to 600*. It got there in about 10-15 minutes from the 250*. Seems like the algorithm to start it has changed and it takes much longer to get to its initial temperature.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that since the firmware update that it takes a lot longer to get to the initial temp? Both yesterday and today I set the temp to 250* and started it up. It quickly rose to 220* and then dropped back to 190* before slowly going back up. In all it took 35 minutes to get to 225*. I was reverse searing filet mignons yesterday and pork chops today and, after I brought to meats to my target temp, I bumped the SmokeFire to 600*. It got there in about 10-15 minutes from the 250*. Seems like the algorithm to starlit has changed and it takes much longer to get to its initial temperature.
Yes, I’ve heard they want to hit that initial temp and stay locked on. It has been frustrating but I’ve had some good cooks since the update.

Back