First Sand/Plate Vent Position

Scott Hammock

TVWBB Member
I tried the sand once without doing much reading on it. My temp with through the roof and I panicked, yanking it out and replacing it with water.
I'm looking to try it again. Where should I look to keep the vents? 25% all around? We have a party of 15 coming over and I don't want to experiment on my own with this next smoke is my reason for asking.
Thank you in advance.
Scott

Welcome

Without water, many have good results shutting down the vents around 25* from the target temp, then use only one vent to adjust temps

I tried sand a few times and had one heck of a time trying to keep my temps stable. I'm no rocket scientist by any stretch of the imagination nor do I classify myself as a pro with the WSM but it's my opinion that sand, though a pretty good shield, isn't much of a heat sink. Sand will block the heat for awhile but will continue to absorb the heat until the mass of the sand hits the same temp of the heat source below and then realeases it so sand will continue to release heat even if the fire goes down and then will slowly cool until it matches the temp of the heat source I don't think there is anything you can do to bring the temp down faster except expose the sand to a considerably cooler surroundings. I guess you'd have to slowly bring your temp up to where you want it but because you don't really know just how much heat your sand has absorbed it's harder to get a true feeling for the actual temp and you end up roller coasting, the best solution I'd think is to use less sand in the pan so it absorbs the heat faster and releases it and cools quicker, of course this is just my .02 worth, many people use sand with no issues what so ever but for me it's a no go. As for the vents, experiment a little trying what works well for others to see whats works best for you. Myself I start with all vents open until I get to with in 30 degrees of my target temp and close one vent completely useally the one facing the wind and by the time I'm finished adjusting the vents I usually have 2 completely closed and the 3rd which I place opposite of the lid vent maybe open a 3rd of the way. This is just what eventually worked out best for me.

I've only used my 18.5 twice so far but with great results both times! I use 2 clay saucers in my water bowl, fire up the WSM using the Minion method and actually let the dome temp get up into the 275 to 300 degree range, then put the meat on and shut 2 of the 3 bottom vents and leave 1 open about 25% to 35% with the top vent fully open. Both times my smoker settled down to and locked onto about 225 to 235 degrees according to the dome thermometer throughout the entire cooking process. First time was an 11 hour cook with 2 pork butts and second time was a 5 hour cook of 3 racks of beef ribs. I park the smoker where the wind can't hit it directly while using it and taking the advice I've read on this forum for vent settings and cooking to temps desired and not going by looks, have been very happy with the results so far!

I tried the sand once... My temp with through the roof...

IMHO, after trying all the great ideas, I decided water works best for me. It may use a bit more fuel but it maintains heat with predictable dependability. I'll pay for that. I normally open vents 100% and maintain steady temps ~ 260* +/- 20* which is good enough for me. If I do need a lower temp, I reduce the opening by 25% - ish. But normally, I've found I prefer the low/no stress, fire it up and let it go, cooks.

However, for higher temps to cook poultry (340* +/- 20*) I do use a clay saucer. I WANT the temps through the roof.

Back