First Run

Dewey,
Great first run with the WSM 18, how was the ability to hold temps?

Michael it was incredibly easy.. like the smoker is built to hold the temp with ease. Next time I’ll try a full load no mater what size meat I put on.

Dewey - welcome to the forum! That is one heck of a nice back yard! What kind of temperature monitoring is that? It's got a really cool retro look to it, kind of like an old black and white TV or transistor radio.

John thank you yes this is a great new home so over the summer I’ll be smokin and swimming through the day. The device was on clearance at Walmart at the end of summer, brand is Expert Grill and I am actually hoping for a bluetooth probe set that links to an app so I can watch three temps from my phone.

Dewey -- your backyard looks great, especially since mine is covered in snow right now.

Our fearless leader Chris has a bunch of beginning cooks compiled in the link below fyi.

But since you've checked off the low/slow pork shoulder, maybe your next cook could be some bone in chicken. That will give you a chance to fool around with higher temps and cooking without water (and/or cooking without a pan at all). After that, probably time for some ribs.

After those two shorter cooks, then another low/slow pork shoulder but this time done overnight.

And then it will be time to do a brisket. Enjoy.

Dewey -- your backyard looks great, especially since mine is covered in snow right now.

Our fearless leader Chris has a bunch of beginning cooks compiled in the link below fyi.

But since you've checked off the low/slow pork shoulder, maybe your next cook could be some bone in chicken. That will give you a chance to fool around with higher temps and cooking without water (and/or cooking without a pan at all). After that, probably time for some ribs.

After those two shorter cooks, then another low/slow pork shoulder but this time done overnight.

And then it will be time to do a brisket. Enjoy.

Hey, Jim - these recipes are geared towards the 18 WSM. Could you point me in the direction of what should be adjusted for the 22 WSM? TIA

Ryan, the theory is the same for any size, the only thing that changes is the size of the product which can be put in the smoker and, the amount of coal in the ring.
Both of those factors will require some “learning curve” just as they do in an 18 but, the idea is exactly the same.

Ryan, the theory is the same for any size, the only thing that changes is the size of the product which can be put in the smoker and, the amount of coal in the ring.
Both of those factors will require some “learning curve” just as they do in an 18 but, the idea is exactly the same.
Thanks!!!

Back