First Run

If ya'll have read many of my posts, you know that I have one of those sarcastic senses of humor, and that I like to joke around a lot.
That said, I really do appreciate all the interest in getting a newbie up to speed. Thanks!

I just finished cleaning up from last night's cook. Our suspicions were right. The 1/2" mesh on the expanded metal was too small to let the ash fall through. 95% of the ash was above the grate.
Lesson learned. I removed the expanded metal, and will go commando (nekkid) on the charcoal grate next cook.

I noticed that the lid was really stuck to the center section. Hard to get off. Not a problem, just interesting. I understand why.

Note to self: Cleaning the cooking grate in the wife's clean sink is probably not a good idea. Too much gunk flying around. It was, however, a great idea to spray with cooking oil before cooking!!

Water pan cleanup was a snap! Remove the foil, throw it away. I went ahead and removed the sand as well, since I plan to try and duplicate Chris' Self-Basting Turkey cook Monday.

I start a new job on 2/28, will end up working 4 10-hour days/week, off every Fri, Sat, Sun unless I want overtime. Gonna get a "college education" in WSM as soon as March gets here!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charles Howse:
I noticed that the lid was really stuck to the center section. Hard to get off. Not a problem, just interesting. I understand why. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you can remember to do it, just wipe the rim of the middle section with a paper towel after you're finished cooking. That will eliminate the sticking.

I've had times when I smoke-dried tomatoes and forgot to wipe the rim, and for the life of me, I almost couldn't get the lid off next time I cooked!

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
If you can remember to do it, just wipe the rim of the middle section with a paper towel after you're finished cooking. That will eliminate the sticking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,
I took a paper towel out to wipe the rim like you suggested when I took my Beer-Can Turkey off a few days ago.
The goo was so sticky and so tough that it just laughed at that paper towel.
I went back yesterday with Simple Green and a big wad of paper towels, and scrubbed it into submission.

I've heard some talk about a product called "Greased Lightning". What national chains carry it, and to what other products is it similar?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie R:
Also, try GooGone. It takes off a lot of gunk. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, and where can I get it?

I will ask the bride tonight where she gets greased lightning and post tomorrow (when I have an internet connection again)

She says grocery store, walmart, sams, bj's. She also says that you might want to wear gloves if you are going to be doing a lot of work with it.

Back