First Run on WSM!

Howard V

TVWBB Member
First run on the WSM -- spare ribs with Costco dry rub and sweet baby rays sauce!!

Temps was climbing fast at beginning...as high up as 290F. I had to adjust vents to prevent further temp increase. It stayed at 260ish for most of the cook. Then after 4hrs, it suddenly dropped (with all vents open) to 225. I was a bit concern. Did I not put enough charcoal? Is this normal? I had water pan filled up -- should there be less water? Any advice is appreciated. I was using Kingsford Competition Charcoal brand.

Overall, results were succulent tender juicy ribs. I just want to learn why my WSM had sudden temp drop. How do I prevent this?

Pictures below:

Ribs+pic.jpg

Ribs+cut.jpg

Last edited:
What did the fire box look like when you finished the cook? How much coal did you use?
What or how did you start it? Was the coal an open bag that could have taken on moisture from the air?
These guys can probably figure everything out if you give them some info like that.

The one piece of advise I would give you is this, the first half hour after start your fire is the most important time in the cook. At least it has been for me. What method I use to start it and catching the temps as they first start to rise, and paying attention to how fast they are rising determines what your temps will be for a long time. If you got all your coals going right away then you also could have speeded up how fast they were finished... or you could have stifled them out when you were trying to shut down the temps.
If I want a 225-250 range I use the minion method with a small coffee can with top and bottom cut out in the center. Like this.

I have the vents all wide open at start and start paying attention to how fast the temp is rising. When I get to about 180 or so I will shut down the side the prevailing breeze is coming from a little bit and pay attention to if it is slowing down. For me it is like slowing down a train. I look again in ten minutes and see what reaction. I may shut it down further depending on what is happening. If it shows no reaction then I will shut down the other two a little and check again in ten. You may have to shut down the one facing any breeze completely, or two and run on one till you get the pace and temp you want.
One thing I found that made a difference for me was which way the top vent is facing, you do not want the top vent facing the wind or prevailing breeze so turn your dome accordingly.
The other thing that I found for me was what charcoal you are using. So far lump is a hotter burner for me and I use it only when I want a little hotter temps like above 260. I have tried all the Kingsfords and three or four other brands I can get around here and for me the best in smoke quality and the best in consistency has been Stubbs Brand and it is all I will use now for low and slow.
Hope this helps you
Bill

Nice bark on the ribs Howard...

If I get a drop in temp kick my WSM on the sides so the ash can fall to the bottom. That usually helps getting my temps up.
Remember always fill up your charcoal ring to the top.

Ribs look great Howard. I might just add since this is the first time using
the WSM, it will fluctuate temperatures until it builds up some gunk inside. Other
than filling the charcoal ring it will eventually become easier to dial in the temps you want.

Here's what my charcoal ring looks like. I think I need to fill charcoal up to ring.

Charcoal.jpg

My other theory is that my lit charcoal spread is too wide. Looking at Bill's picture, it's a smaller radius. Maybe mine is just burning out too fast due to larger radius.

Is that what was left after your cook? Looks like plenty of coal in there, did you have the vents closed down a lot to control temps? Did you close down the top dome vent at all?
I use the small coffee can and pack the coals tight around, for a low and slow cook. Some guys sprinkle on top too. This worked for me, I get a nice even burn out from the center and can easily control my temps. Some guys use a big can and do the same, some use the snake or "C" shape around the ring and light one end.
That c shape and the small can with about 14 well lit coals dumped in the center worked real well for me.
You will find it, what works for you.

Bill -- that pic was at the beginning of my cook. Towards the end of my cook (5hr or so), temps start drop down below 200 and I had to add more coals. It was mostly ash with very few coals.

Did the wind pick up during your cook? I don't have any wind protection where I smoke and when the wind picks up it causes my WSM temps to plummet.

Dan

I noticed with my new WSM that the temps fluctuated quite a bit until it became well seasoned. It holds constant pretty well nowadays. I generally start with the minion method and two vents open. I then close all the vents except I leave one about half open and that keeps my temps in the 225-275 range. The best part of the trial and error is all the delicious food you get to eat. I have yet to cook something on the WSM that I didn't think tasted great.

Looks like you had to little coals in the beginning and go them all lit to fast, got burning fast then burned itself out. Remember the wind when doing the vents, remember to slow it down on the initial temp rise with those vents. Leave the top dome vent wide open if you can though you can close it down some if the wind picks up a lot. Make sure the top vent is facing away from any prevailing breeze no matter how slight and close down the bottom vent a little at a time that faces that wind.
Fill that coal holder up for low and slow and tap it a few times to let the coals settle down together. Remember depth of that fire pit is as important as the width.
You should be good after that, once your WSM has 10-12 cooks in it it will be a lot better, my first couple of cooks had me playing around to get the temp right with me having to shut it all down on one where the temps just kept climbing. I did not watch it early and once that train starts heading down hill she is a biatch to slow down.
Also I changed out the stock WSM door for one of the stainless Cajun Bandits versions which seal tighter, made a difference.

Thanks for the encouragement and tips!

There was no wind when the temp suddenly drop from 260 to 190...at one point with all vents opened and I started added more charcoals to bring it back up to 250. I think it's a coals issue that Bill pointed up...I didnt have enough depth...and it burnt out quickly. Lesson learned!

Back