First Ribs on New WSM

Decided that I wanted to try some ribs and also see if I could control the temps easily. I used the MM and started with about 25 brickets in the chimney and a full ring of KB. It took around 45 minutes before the WSM hit 200 per the Maverick 732. I added the meat at 180.

I used a dry rub and did not mop at all. The ribs were on for a bit over five hours and the average temp was probably 225 to 230. I took them off because I was worried they would get too dry. The meat had not pulled away from the bone but when I grabbed them, they folded over and did not appear rigid.

They were not dry and they had decent flavor.
The wife liked them and that's what counts. i suspect they could have cooked longer.

next time I do these:
- cook at 250
- wait until they separate from the bone a wee bit
- less rub .. I used more than I should have
- worry less about keeping it exactly at one temperature and more abbout having it within a range. My temps would either go up or down based on my adjustments. The changes occurred very slowly so they were very manageable. However, this highlighted that I am not ready for an unattended overnight cook

Congrats on a successful cook. "The wife liked them." That's my measure and then, like you, I take what I learn and try to do better next time. You came up with some good lessons learned.

Congrats Frank, I cook my ribs almost the same way and go as long as 6 hours, not dry and just bangin delicious. It's all trial and error and personal preference, of your wife of course.....
icon_smile.gif

Spare ribs? Anyway, the meat pulling back from the bones (or not) isn't the definitive test for ribs being done. Stick a food probe between two bones. If tender, the probe will go through easily without resistance. That's when they are tender. Put the ribs/meat on right after you add the lit and assemble the cooker. No need to preheat (JMO)

yes they were spareribs and next time I will try the "between the rib test". this is good information to know. I did the preheat approach just to see how long it would take to come up to temp. Next time I will put them on right after I put the water in.

Thanks for all the feedback

Sounds like you did pretty well on your first cook! Another reason it might have taken so long to get up to temp is because of the water..Most people around here don't use water at all..some people do. (I use a foiled clay saucer when cooking low temps) Also, like Dave said, throw your meat on cold and right away (right out of the fridge), this will also bring your meat up to temp while your smoker is coming up to temp and I think gives you a better smoke ring

I judge done by the tong method. If I pick up the rack with tongs on one end, they should be limp and ready to break apart. Sometimes I use the old twisted bone method. Grab onto a rib bone and give it a twist, if it twists easily in the meat its done.
I just picked up some lava rock to use in my water pan. I usually go with sand or empty. I'll post if there is any benefit to that.

Frank - Sounds like you did OK to me. Your wife liked them - that's all you need. My wife does not like my ribs - I'm a spare & tip guy & she's a baby back - I like a little "pull" to them - she wants them falling off the bone - I like mine in the WSM with a little smoke - she likes hers from the oven. She won't even let me try to do baby backs for her in the WSM.
First cooks - all cooks - are a learning experience. Practice does not make perfect - it just helps us improve.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank D (Wenatchee):
yes they were spareribs and next time I will try the "between the rib test". this is good information to know. I did the preheat approach just to see how long it would take to come up to temp. Next time I will put them on right after I put the water in.

Thanks for all the feedback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Frank! That's the best plan IMHO. I like to use a metal skewer or the metal probe (from your thermometer if you use one). Until that test passes they aren't done. No matter what temperature you cooked them at, how long you cooked them or what internal temp might say. All that is just good for reference. Same is true for butts, briskets, etc.

The probe test tells you when it's done.

Lots of folks starting out "over obsess" about controlling temps.

A 25 degree swing either way will not ruin a cook. And only slight affects overall duration in my experience.

Good thing to keep in mind is that your home oven most likely swings within the same range and probably isn't spot on the temperature your number wheel/setting says it is
icon_smile.gif

When was the last time you monitored your home oven temp throughout an entire cook and obsessed about it being within + or - 5 degrees
icon_smile.gif

You get a better handle on fire control the more you use your WSM - isn't "playing with fire" a good bit of the fun?
wsmsmile8gm.gif
It won't take you long, just keep at it. Key point is to catch the temps on the way up. I.E. - err towards using the least amount of lit as is reasonable (say 10-15 lit briquettes) and the bottom vents closed down to 1/4 to 1/2 open to start and slowly bump them open as the temp levels out on the way up to reach your optimum temp. Then just MINOR adjustments as you monitoring during the cook.

Bring temps down is much harder. Starting with too much lit will push things up past your target a lot faster and be very tough to bring back down.

Back