First Restore - 2002 Genesis Silver B

T Weaver

Hi all,

So grateful for this site and all the resources provided. Reading through the how to mega thread has given me a great starting point.

Wanted to post a couple of pictures along with my plans to fix the issues:
1: Porcelain lid - minor rust on the edge in a few small spots. My plan was to (after cleaning w/ steel wool & simple green) use rust reformer on those small spots, with surrounding areas masked off - then finishing off w/ rustoleum high heat ultra
lid chip.png

2: Frame rust - the frame rust is most severe on the side by the burner knobs - where the frame screws into the firebox looks in relatively good shape. Similar approach here, but starting with wire brush to try removing some of the rust, then rust reform, high heat ultra paint
grill attach.pngburner side.png

3: Burner manifold - much to my surprise the burner manifold support arm - that bolts into the firebox - is the worst rust of anything on this grill. Seems solid, so plan to hit the arms only with the wire brush, rust reform, high heat ultra - hoping that will get more life out it.

4: Drip tray - as seen in the pictures of frame rust, the drip tray has some rust (didn't photograph as still have to clean it out) - but there is only one hole in it (the one that should be there) - has anyone repainted this before? I could have sworn in the past when I've looked at replacement parts there was a third party option made from aluminum - but maybe I've just lost my mind. I can find plenty of people to sell the mounting rails, the foil pan, and the foil pan holder - but very few have the drip pan itself in stock

5: Bottom rack - is there anything I can do to this without taking it to get blasted? Has anyone replaced with wood or another alternative?

6: Burners - the crossover tube is on its way out - rusted through near the middle burner. Can't decide if I should just bite the bullet and get full new set of burners or just triage the crossover

Semi-related: Does anyone have schematics/info on the 2000 year model of this grill? Google tells me the 2002 was the first with stopclock assembly. I ask because if my work goes well - perhaps my dad and I would work together on his 2000 model year grill (original owner) - if there's not too much added complexity

All in all - I've had this grill for 3 years, found on craigslist for 100 bucks and it has worked remarkably well. Pretty sure the only new part I've added is the thermometer. Appreciate any insight / advice / suggestions you may have.

Attachments

• grill body.png
    grill body.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Unless that "rust reformer" is high heat rated, you might be better off not using it. You can get High heat primer though.

Unless that "rust reformer" is high heat rated, you might be better off not using it. You can get High heat primer though.

Noted - will save that for something without the need for a high heat rating

Today's project was removing the paint / cleaning the sides and firebox - sides are ready for paint, but still have a bit more work to do on the firebox.
cleaned.png

Looks like you are giving it a really nice makeover. Over the last couple years it seems like it is getting harder to find certain parts Like the drip tray. For those repairs as you are looking doing may be the option you have to go with. Fortunately, for the primary consumables like burners, flavorizer bars and grates you still have many good options to choose from.

It will take some patience and effort but you will have a cool classic grill with the extra good feeling of what you did yourself to make it like new again. Keep us posted with pictures!

After unexpected and unrelated delays - this weekend is paint weekend.

Used naval jelly to remove rust from frame & small chips on edges of the porcelain lid. Frame is painted semi-gloss with the firebox & sides in flat black.

Picked up a new stainless bolt and nut to hold the firebox to the frame as well as new push caps for the wheels

Also cleaned all the plastic parts today as well.

Hoping to have it together & running by the end of the weekend/early next week. Will post pictures when complete.

Assembly complete - restore "complete" for now

Have not replaced burners, drip tray, flavor bars or ignition - also still need to clean the bottom rack for refinishing and would like to lubricate the gas valves. I consider all these things "nice to have" but not something that is urgent or something that I want keeping me from having a grill. Currently have a ~100 heat index, so it will be very nice to have the grill up & running.

Attachments

• final1.png
    final1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • final2.png
    final2.png
    983.6 KB · Views: 36
  • final3.png
    final3.png
    643.7 KB · Views: 37
  • final4.png
    final4.png