First Pulled Pork on the Mini

Looks good!

I'm going to be doing my first pulled pork on Saturday, so this thread makes me all the more eager.

Great looking pork!

Would you mind sharing a bit more detail about your technique?

How long did the butt take and did you have to add more coal?

Great looking pork!

Would you mind sharing a bit more detail about your technique?

How long did the butt take and did you have to add more coal?

Thanks, Michael. The store was out of bone-in, so I got a 3.5 pound boneless one and coated it with just a little olive oil and a rub made out of whatever I could find in my cupboard that worked and refrigerated it overnight.

As far as technique, I used basically a whole chimney full of unlit briquettes (KBB) with hickory chunks tossed in there and lit 8 briquettes and added them to it. It was kind of a windy day, so I left the bottom vent completely open the entire time to make sure I kept the temp right around 225. It got up there probably within about 20 minutes and stayed pretty steady until about 4 hours into the cook when the ashes started clogging the bottom vent. I emptied the ashes and added about half a chimney of unlit and 5 more lit to keep it going. All in all, it was on for about 8 hours or so. I had a round cake pan sitting down on my bottom grate filled with water to act as a diffuser/heat sink as well.

The only real issue with the cook was definitely the ashes, and I can understand why people would prefer a SJG for one of these builds. I'm going to take a shot at a bone-in butt this weekend, and I'm already making a few more mods to get the best performance out of the little guy as I can. Heading in to work in a little bit, but the plan for tomorrow is to build a charcoal basket out of expanded sheet metal to get the most from the coals that I can, and I'm also going to make a vent cover out of a can as well (one of the stray cats in the neighborhood is going to enjoy some "fresh" tuna because I'm not eating it). I think with these two additions to it, I hopefully won't have to add any more fuel during the cook, but I guess we'll see.

Back