First Post. Summit S-420 Restoration Questions

Tony Iivanainen

Hey guys,

I've been reading these forums for close to the last year. Great site, lots of great discussion and information can be found here. I broke down and deep cleaned a preowned Weber Performer that I purchased based on advice from this forum.

So just this past week I added a new member to the Weber family. A Summit S-420. She joins my Genesis Silver B, Blue Crate & Barrel Performer and my Summit Charcoal.

I found this on Offerup for $150. I was hesitant, as I knew the wife wouldn't love the idea of another grill... Somewhat reluctantly I went ahead and messaged the seller. He still had it, I went and picked it up. I was very glad that I did, as $150 is a steal for this grill. Sticker is still there, seems to indicate a production of 2006, so older than I expected. The grill is in decent condition, the top is great but the bottom does have some rust.

I am just looking to get some opinions on this grill. I see a ton of restorations on the older grills but not as many on these newer ones. There is rust on the bottom panel, it isn't rusted through but there is rust and then most of the panel is bubbled, which seems to indicate rust underneath the paint. The sides are not as bad but the back does have an area near where it attaches to the firebox that already has a hole in it from the rust, not much I can do there. Also those faux chrome handles, the chrome has peeled off of them. I imagine best I could do is sand them down and apply some type of chrome spray paint.

The burners and the flavorizer bars are ok. Bars need to be cleaned but they aren't rusted through.

I'm just debating between trying to restore these panels or just use the grill for the next maybe 3-4 years as is. What would you do?

image0-jpeg.22621

image2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage6.jpegimage9.jpegimage23.jpegimage24.jpegimage21.jpegimage14.jpeg

Rest of the Family minus the Silver B

image20.jpegimage19.jpeg

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 108
Well, you have some work ahead for yourself doing rust remediation, but it does look like the grill cabinet is redeemable if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

One key thing you need to determine before you get too deep is if the panels at the front of the cook box where the burners come through are in good shape or not. Many times they rust out there and replacement parts for those are virtually non-existant.

I have the six burner version of this grill and restored it a few years ago. I had to completely replace the bottom panel and the fire box - both were available from Weber. I also had to scrape, sand rust, use some rust inhibiter and then prime and paint the frame and side panels. The burner tubes just needed a good going over with a wire brush and some carburetor cleaner. The door handles are a little rough and I will probably strip and paint them some day, but they are fine for now. I also replaced the flavorizer bars with some RC ones - the grill grates were fine, just filthy.

It was a bit of work, but I enjoy that stuff and it didn't take too much time. I think a few evenings and a Saturday putting it back together. Honestly, the worst part was cleaning the grill grates and grease trap/ramp. Those were disgusting.

Good luck. Its a great grill,

Back