First Pork Butt

KirkJ

TVWBB Member
Fired up the 18.5" for my first attempt at pork butt on Halloween. Went with the Renowned Mr. Brown as it seemed like a stable recipie. Day before rubbed up:

Woke up at 0630 and started up the coals, used an almost full ring of KBB and a mix of Hickory and Apple woods, still waiting on a friend to get me some local Pecan. Rerubbed and on the Smoker:

New Mavik 732 helped me get the temp right in the mid-230's all day long. 6.5 lb butt so I figured a 12 hour smoke. 6 hours in:

Went a little longer then expected so got to finish it up while handing out the Halloween candy took it out after about 13 hours and was rewarded with this nice meteor at 190 degrees could pull the bone out so knew it was ready

Pulled:

And served with some Carolina mustard sauce:

Excellent bark and taste and the dog enjoyed the bone. Not a bad Halloween

How did you determine cook time? I had read that for pork butt, 1 1/2 hours per pound low 'n slow is the way to go. At 6.5lbs that would be almost ten hours. Did you just pick 12 hours or did you follow someone's recipe? Thanks for the info.

Cook time varies on many conditions. Personally, the 225ish is too low when you're shooting for an internal temp of 190+ unless you got all day and night. lol *I* usually do 10ish pound butts and figure 12 hours at 275ish degrees. The best thing about the WSM --- once you get to know it, fire it up at midnight and let it work while sleeping. :)

Kirk --- for your first pork butt, that looks really good. Congrats!

Eugene I was shooting for an internal temp of 190+ using the maverick probe thermometer and let that dictate the cooking time.

Thanks for the encouragement now just have to learn patience and have a list of stuff to do so I'm not staring at the readout all day

Back