First Pork Butt

Steve Ch.

TVWBB Member
Tomorrow, I'm looking to get up at 4:30 and try my first pork butt. It's 6.8 lbs. so I'm thinking it'll take around 12-13 hours. I"m using Chris Lilly's rub. I'm going to use the MM and no water in the pan. I also just got my Maverick ET-73 today, so I'm ready to go! Any suggestions or words or wisdom?
Steve
18.5 WSM
Spirit 700 Weber grill

Hi Steve,

I wish you luck with your first butt cook.

I know you asked Albert, but I though I would share my experience as far as rubbing the night before or not.
I have done it both ways and did not notice much difference.

The butts I have rubbed the night before and then added more rub the next day seemed to maybe have a little bit "thicker" bark in the end. I supposed results may vary depending on the rub too. Both ways will come out good.

Save a little bit of the rub to sprinkle in with the meat once it is pulled. That to me makes a good difference & reinforces the flavor of the bark too.

Have fun Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JasonT:
Hi Steve,

I wish you luck with your first butt cook.

I know you asked Albert, but I though I would share my experience as far as rubbing the night before or not.
I have done it both ways and did not notice much difference.

The butts I have rubbed the night before and then added more rub the next day seemed to maybe have a little bit "thicker" bark in the end. I supposed results may vary depending on the rub too. Both ways will come out good.

Save a little bit of the rub to sprinkle in with the meat once it is pulled. That to me makes a good difference & reinforces the flavor of the bark too.

Have fun Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jason. This forum is GREAT!

re: rubbing it a long time before - as far as I can tell as long as you give it about an hour with the rub you'll get it drawing out moisture and forming a goopy layer, which you can then touch up with more dry stuff. Overnight's not necessary although it doesn't hurt, either.

Back