First Pork Butt smoke

John.Sawa

Hey All,

I am new to the forum but have read many of the posts in the past. I have had my WSM for about a year now and used it with great success. I havn't done a pork butt and am very curious to see how it will turn out.

I have bought two bone in pork butts each weighing in around 8 pounds after the fat was trimmed. I injected both butts with good old coke, slathered them in mustard and used the Mrs Brown spice rub. They are currently sitting in my fridge overnight. I am planning on smoking them thursday night at around 8PM and hoping that they are done for my big BBQ at 630 the next day.

I am going to put water in the pan to control temp spikes because I have never done an overnight cook before. My only real question is becuase I injected the butts, does that make the meat need any additional time to cook?

Any additional tips would be appreciated from all you gurs out there.

Thanks,

John

First, relax, cuz butt is bulletproof.

Even with a heat spike, it will come out good. There are several posts where overnights went wrong with high temps or low temps and the next morning all they had to do was re-stabilize and all turned out well.

I'd recommend running about 250º~270º and plan on about 14~16 hours.

Even if they finish early, they will easily keep several hours in a cooler wrapped in towels.

Welcome to the forum John, 1st at what temp are u cooking at and are u pulling the pork or slicing the pork,if slicing go to 165-170 if pulling go to 185-195 internal temp,250 temp take about 1-1.25 hr per lb 225 about 1.5 hrs per lb, me personaly like to smoke at 275, gd luck and let us know how it turned out.

I'll simply second what the others have said but would make one suggestion: start your cook a little later. I'd estimate 14-15 hours too cook if you're looking to be 225-250. If you start at 8pm, that puts you at 11am the next morning. Holding the butt in a cooler for 7 hours is longer than I'd want to go. If you can, start your cook around 11pm or midnight. Even if you go 16 hours, that's still only 4pm - still a 2.5 hour rest in the cooler.

Good luck take pics! And welcome to the forum!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Im with Jim on this one. Gets you a better window to rest it.

And Good luck,im sure you are gonna nail this cook.

Been using a WSM now about 6 years and I've come to the conclusion that high heat cooking is the way to go. It's just my opinion but I've gotten better (faster) results cooking at 325+ on everything. I just fed 130 people pulled pork at my church a few weeks ago and cooked them all at 325 to 350 in my WSM with NO water in the pan. I foil the pan top and bottom and then place 3 crumpled sheets on foil in the pan with another sheet over that. Cook the butts to about 160 internal and then foil them. When they hit about 200+ internal they're golden. This method has worked perfect for me every single time.

Good luck with this - like others said as well, it is very difficult to spoil pp cook, I should know.

Several times I have had temps spike or fall and recovered to tasty pork each and every time.

John, u can also cook it high heat which will cut ur time in half with the same or better results, start at 325 temp to internal temp of 160-165, then foil the butts and cook till 185 internal temp then cook till tender no need to check temps anymore, total cook time should be know more than 6-8 hrs, u could start at 6:00am the same day and be fine

Hope the butt cook is going well. It's a little late for this advice, but if you're using water in the pan, make sure it doesn't run dry. That'll cause a temp spike.

Back