First pork butt smoke (1.5lbs) with interesting results....

David Chapman

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has given me advice so far. It has been really helpful and given me confidence when handling the WSM.

Today was my second ever smoke and I did a very small (1.5lb) boston butt to make pulled pork. Small because it's only for my wife and I.

I controlled the WSM down to 235F where it stayed for a good while and I assumed the meat would take about 2-3hrs (taking 1.5-2hrs per lb). However, after about 2hrs the meat got to 140 and then barely went anywhere. After 3.5hrs it was at 144, I got impatient and then stuck it in the hot oven.

It tasted great when pulled at 205F and the bark was pretty crispy which I like. But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this "plateau" (which I guess it was) at such a low temperature? Normally it happens around 170F according to this site. Maybe it was because the butt was so small, but then why did it take so much longer than the calculation to cook? Probably would have been 6hrs + if I left it in the WSM, I could have done a 4lb one for that time!!!

Dave

Hi David.

The point where the plateau or stall occurs differs with each meat. If you were to graph when the stall starts, using multiple cooks, you would find that point to vary all over the place. So the 140 deg start is really not that unusual.

You will find that there will be approx a 40% weight loss in the butt. While some of that weight loss is in fat loss, most is moisture loss... good 'ol water loss. It is this moisture loss that causes the stall.

For those of us that foil and only foil when the bark is fully set, that temperature (if one checks) might be at 160 or even as high as 175 or 180. The bark doesn't fully set until fully into a stall and the moisture loss subsides partly due to the set bark.

Last edited:
Today was my second ever smoke and I did a very small (1.5lb) boston butt to make pulled pork. Small because it's only for my wife and I.

Haha I usually do a nine pounder for the wife and I. Of course I know what I'm having for lunch for the next two weeks! :D

PP saves great in freezer bags if you squeeze the air out before zipping it closed. At some point as the roast gets smaller the 11/2 hr rule doesn't apply anymore and it seems to take a long time for a butt to cook. Foiling will force the meat through the stall.

Hi David,
Not knowing which Bob, I give it a try ;)
Generally I'll wait until the meat is in a full stall then do a check of the bark. I like the bark to be fully set before foiling so that the steam/braising action during the foiling stage does not wash out or overly soften the bark. When checking, I'll run a fingernail across the bark to test if it can be scrapped off. If it can be scrapped off, continue cooking. If I can not scrap it off, it's time to foil. Also, I put a little 'braising' liquid into the foiled package at this stage.

Bob

Back