first pork butt on wsm

Jacob Samarin

TVWBB Member
now i have done them before on my offset but never in the wsm.yesterday i did an injection,mustard slather,and rub down.i just put the 7 pound monster on the wsm @ 7:30 pst.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/djodeed/bbq01/IMG_0131.jpg

ill post more progress later.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jacob, I'm interested in you thoughts on using your offset vs. the WSM. When I bought my WSM I was also seriously considering the Bar-B-Chef offset from BBQ Galore. From my experience with my WSM and what I read on thesmokering.com I'm glad I went with the WSM. It seems that whenever someone who is looking to get into casual backyard smoking the guys at thesmokering.com point them to the WSM and this site . . . actually, I think that's how I found this site. However, I must admit, there's a also a certain appeal (to me) to the offset smoker. Just curious. Good luck with your butt today!

Sorry to take your thread off topic.

Larry,

I have a Chargriller offset.

Bought it years before the wsm.

Had done briskets, ribs, butts, etc.

I now use it as a grille only. I sometimes use the offset box to burn scrap wood.

There is no comparison between a wsm and a budget offset.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Jacob, I'm interested in you thoughts on using your offset vs. the WSM. When I bought my WSM I was also seriously considering the Bar-B-Chef offset from BBQ Galore. From my experience with my WSM and what I read on thesmokering.com I'm glad I went with the WSM. It seems that whenever someone who is looking to get into casual backyard smoking the guys at thesmokering.com point them to the WSM and this site . . . actually, I think that's how I found this site. However, I must admit, there's a also a certain appeal (to me) to the offset smoker. Just curious. Good luck with your butt today!

Sorry to take your thread off topic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

larry,
its funny you mention the bar-b-chef cuz thats the offset it have.one thing i noticed about it is it takes forever to get up to temp.and even with a charcoal basket i can only get about 4 or 5 hours before i need to refill.i did have a charbroil silver smoker and it came up to temp a bit faster,but the temp swings on that thing were CRAZY!
i think if you get an offset,you are gonna need to spend some $$$$$ to get a really nice one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James H:
Jacob,

NICE LAWN!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol,thanks!
i get that @ www.thesmokering.com all the time too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jacob samarin:
now i have done them before on my offset but never in the wsm.yesterday i did an injection,mustard slather,and rub down.i just put the 7 pound monster on the wsm @ 7:30 pst.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/djodeed/bbq01/IMG_0131.jpg

ill post more progress later.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck, I did my first picnic yesterday and it turned out great, even after a few minor setbacks.

Keep us posted and post more pics.

Again, sorry for taking your thread off topic. I don't think I'll get an offset, I was just curious regarding your experience since you have both. If I was going to purchase another smoker I think I'd pick-up another WSM. You've echo'd what everyone told me when I was first looking at smokers.

The temp. control, long burns etc. are awesome with the WSM and I've not regretted my decision to go with the WSM one minute. Then you throw this board into the mix and all the expert advice available to you and it's a great combination!

Back on topic, how's your butt smoke going so far?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:

Back on topic, how's your butt smoke going so far? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so far so good.right now im getting "wisps" of smoke out of the vent,and a fairly steady temp of 240-250.although i have not opened the lid sense i started 2 hours ago,if you are lookin' you aint cookin'!
icon_wink.gif

Hey Larry - I've used an unmodified CG Pro with SFB for about 5 or 6 years before I got the WSM (last summer). I used it a lot. For grilling smoking indirect in the food chamber and with the offset with lump and for all wood smokes.

I agree with the folks above that theirs no comparison. WSM out cooks it it terms of set an forget style and fire control.

A good offset would cost in or about 1K all told.

The CG is a great grill though. In some ways I like it more than the Weber Kettles.

Back