First Poor Man’s Burnt Ends

DanJ CT

TVWBB Member
New 22 WSM last week, and had yesterday off of work, so time to break this beast in.
474E7680-C1F0-4508-838C-06D8A31E95C4.jpeg
Found some decent looking Prime chuck at the Costco, 5lbs worth, so one in the freezer so wife can make the stew that she’s been craving, and one chunk for ends. Salt and pepper, and a liberal coating of Cajun Spice Rub from a local spice company here, Nutmeg. Great people, and their raw spices are what we normally use for our rubs also.
2794C752-CA17-46F9-83E6-07B6A6275C91.jpeg
Loaded the charcoal grate up Harry Soo style, wood chunks under the charcoal. This was a mix of apple and hickory, and the charcoal was a mix of B&B logs, bricks and lump.
FF979F32-36D6-4A9C-8D31-E6572A26CF69.jpeg

I did use the water pan, wrapped in foil, and kept it full of water, I had to refill right after the wrap. Lucky me, it was unseasonably warm and still, steady 30 degrees and no wind for the first cook. The grill was awesome, I made some adjustments before the meat went on, and it pretty much stayed at 250-270 for the duration of the unwrapped cook. I was nervous, all the talk of gaskets, doors, blankets, and temp controllers, but today everything went textbook smoothly. Probably the only and last time for that lol. After the wrap, I bumped up to 270. I did have a spike after the wrap, tried to be quick about opening and closing the lid, even closed the lower vents first, but I did briefly spike up to 305, but was able to come down quick by closing the bottom vents completely.
8DC4A514-769C-4E7F-B7B0-E787C56247D2.jpeg
Took it to 165f, and wrapped in butcher paper. Decent coloring in the meat at this temp, I’m pretty amped so far.
293464FE-16C5-41BB-B994-E52FEAB44FEF.jpeg
Quickly bundled it up, bumped the temp a little, mainly so we could eat at a reasonable hour, kept the temp right at 275 for the remainder of the cook. Once the internal probes hit 202, I started probing, and the first one went straight through lol. It took a little pressure to get through the paper, but once the paper gave way, I shot right out the bottom. There was no resistance in the meat, tried a few spots, and it was like stabbing warm butter. I was wanting to let it rest before cubing, but it was getting late, so straight to the cutting board. Cubed, tasted, tasted more, and cubed. Decent looking ring, super juicy, and the meat just melted in my mouth. Wife loved it, she almost got stabbed a few times, snatching chunks from the block. Keep in mind, neither of us are normally huge beef bbq fans, the less rich pork is my normal go to. I grew up in the hills of NC.... Anyway, cubed, tossed in some brown sugar, drizzled with a Maple Bourbon bbq from the local grocery, and let finish on the smoker for a half hour.
6288843F-ED37-466A-8381-9CD2E43DFF41.jpeg
E387ACC1-6A2D-49A9-ABC5-5436918C722E.jpeg
12939A97-6054-42B5-A77F-F9C4B450845B.jpeg
This was certainly a day well spent. Done again, I’d probably start much earlier, so it can rest, and still eat at a reasonable hour. Maybe a different rub, there was no sugar in this one, but definitely still delicious. Can’t wait for the next cook, heck, I can’t wait for work to be over so I can get home to the leftovers.
5AE7C7A1-0FEE-42A0-9BA5-F6D098A5EA19.jpeg5C4FE60C-AD7A-476D-9CC9-B0E9D68F5DAF.jpeg

You do write ups like me LOL......Looks good man, the quality of the meat looks to be great too as the final product seems tender and juicy.
The choice of side is what happens at my place too, looks like a meal that is hard to stop eating.
I chose not to buy chuck roasts on sale last week......It was a mistake as I have seen about 3 threads lately all chuck meat....and all looking delicious.
the choice not to was simple because of lack of freezer space. I just stocked up at the butcher and burnt like $400 and filled the chest up to the top.

The choice of sides was driven partially by a bbq road trip last weekend. Keep in mind, I live in Connecticut, so it’s not a bbq state. We went to the bbq spot that the experts in CT Magazine declared to be the best in the state for bbq. The meats were honestly decent for above the Mason Dixon line bbq, but the sides were laughable at best. The baked beans were crunchy, and the baked apples were cooked as much as you would by running moms hairdryer over them real quick. So baked apples were a must. Added them to the smoker at the wrap, and the veggies were mostly things from the pantry that was about to start growing if we didn’t eat them lol.

I love everything about this post, Dan! Way to break in that 22", your cubed chuck looks perfect. I may have to add this one to my list......I've never made any version of burnt ends! :)

R
I’d never even eaten burnt ends before lol. All of the brisket talk on all of the smoking groups had me very curious. Now I’ll have to try them at a bbq spot and see how I stack up.

New 22 WSM last week, and had yesterday off of work, so time to break this beast in.
View attachment 21560
Found some decent looking Prime chuck at the Costco, 5lbs worth, so one in the freezer so wife can make the stew that she’s been craving, and one chunk for ends. Salt and pepper, and a liberal coating of Cajun Spice Rub from a local spice company here, Nutmeg. Great people, and their raw spices are what we normally use for our rubs also.
View attachment 21561
Loaded the charcoal grate up Harry Soo style, wood chunks under the charcoal. This was a mix of apple and hickory, and the charcoal was a mix of B&B logs, bricks and lump.
View attachment 21562

I did use the water pan, wrapped in foil, and kept it full of water, I had to refill right after the wrap. Lucky me, it was unseasonably warm and still, steady 30 degrees and no wind for the first cook. The grill was awesome, I made some adjustments before the meat went on, and it pretty much stayed at 250-270 for the duration of the unwrapped cook. I was nervous, all the talk of gaskets, doors, blankets, and temp controllers, but today everything went textbook smoothly. Probably the only and last time for that lol. After the wrap, I bumped up to 270. I did have a spike after the wrap, tried to be quick about opening and closing the lid, even closed the lower vents first, but I did briefly spike up to 305, but was able to come down quick by closing the bottom vents completely.
View attachment 21563
Took it to 165f, and wrapped in butcher paper. Decent coloring in the meat at this temp, I’m pretty amped so far.
View attachment 21564
Quickly bundled it up, bumped the temp a little, mainly so we could eat at a reasonable hour, kept the temp right at 275 for the remainder of the cook. Once the internal probes hit 202, I started probing, and the first one went straight through lol. It took a little pressure to get through the paper, but once the paper gave way, I shot right out the bottom. There was no resistance in the meat, tried a few spots, and it was like stabbing warm butter. I was wanting to let it rest before cubing, but it was getting late, so straight to the cutting board. Cubed, tasted, tasted more, and cubed. Decent looking ring, super juicy, and the meat just melted in my mouth. Wife loved it, she almost got stabbed a few times, snatching chunks from the block. Keep in mind, neither of us are normally huge beef bbq fans, the less rich pork is my normal go to. I grew up in the hills of NC.... Anyway, cubed, tossed in some brown sugar, drizzled with a Maple Bourbon bbq from the local grocery, and let finish on the smoker for a half hour.
View attachment 21565
View attachment 21566
View attachment 21567
This was certainly a day well spent. Done again, I’d probably start much earlier, so it can rest, and still eat at a reasonable hour. Maybe a different rub, there was no sugar in this one, but definitely still delicious. Can’t wait for the next cook, heck, I can’t wait for work to be over so I can get home to the leftovers.
View attachment 21568View attachment 21569
Hell yeah that looks great!!!

Looks Tasty!

I always have to chuckle a bit When I see people using Chuck over brisket. Choice chuck here is $9.99/pound, Choice Brisket is $2.79/pound. Seems like chuck is The Kings cut of burnt ends!

Brisket was cheaper, but 15lbs was the smallest cut on the rack. This was only $5 cheaper, but there is no way the two of us are going through a full packers cut. Also, I only had one day off, so I wasn’t starting it at night, watching it off and on all night, all day, and still going to work today lol.

I’d never even eaten burnt ends before lol. All of the brisket talk on all of the smoking groups had me very curious. Now I’ll have to try them at a bbq spot and see how I stack up.
I have never done this cook but when using a brisket point the cut pieces when cooked should feel like they are mildly spring loaded.
I made them before and if you were to " squish " the burnt end it should go back to cube from......like mild resistance but soft and tender to chew.
I followed Malcom's recipe from how to bbq right.
It turned out great....to die for almost.

Looks great! Going to do this!

Pot roast is one of my favorites. Been doing an Asian short rib stew version lately cause my go to has failed a few times. This looks even better. Almost jerky color. Most would have been eaten before going back on.
How would this work with the typical thinner 3 or 4 pound chucks?

Looks great! Going to do this!

Pot roast is one of my favorites. Been doing an Asian short rib stew version lately cause my go to has failed a few times. This looks even better. Almost jerky color. Most would have been eaten before going back on.
How would this work with the typical thinner 3 or 4 pound chucks?
Thanks, it was difficult not to munch all of the bits before the bbq bath. This wasn’t overly thick, maybe 2”, maybe a wee bit more, but was only around 3lbs also I think. The package of 2 was a total of 5.91lbs, and this was the larger chunk, about the thickness of a nice expensive steak lol.

Back