First place chicken!

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
Cooked in the Smokin' in McMinnville competition this weekend. I cooked thighs, trimmed and rubbed, smoked and sauced... all on my EE (1999) Performer. Got first place in the backyard division. Not bad for my second solo competition.

3a239d46.jpg

Here's my setup. Modest, but enough room to cook two meats for KCBS backyard division. Cooked my ribs on my WSM. They weren't as good as I wanted because I overcooked them. I started too early and I tried to save them, but they ended up not as good as I wanted. They were 8th place ribs. I didn't finish DAL even with those ribs, so overall the weekend was a big success. Not the biggest competition out there, but it was a lot of fun. The guy next to me got 1st place ribs & 2nd place chicken and won Backyard champion. I was third overall. Gotta work on my ribs.

0810121637.jpg

I joked that so far in my 2012 competition schedule, I am one for one - one comp, one call. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead.:confused:

Ain't gonna happen.

Competing is a lot of fun, but getting a call makes it addictive. I will be back! :cool:

Wow, good for you! Nice to have fun and food at the same time. I doubt I could do the competition thing, but I admire those that do.

Jim just beat me to it. Congratulations on the comp. Any pictures of the award winning yardbird?

Nice job! I'm entering my first comp next month and would be happy to finish in the top half. Of course, I'm jumping in feet first with an event featuring 100 teams or so.

Back