First pastrami

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
I bought a nice full packer at wallyworld to use for pastrami. I used Chris's recipe and put into ziploc bags for the next 3 days. I split the point from the flat and trimmed the fat for the cure. Monday was the end of the three days and I got home from work late. I figured I would just wait another day instead of staying up late to take it off.

Yesterday I got home early and started a chimney and started the soaking of the brisket. I got everything on by 6 oclock and figure all is well. About 4 hours later I put a thermometer in to check the temp and
icon_eek.gif
. It is 140. I check the coals and there wasn't a couple hours left there. I fire up another chimney. I got the coals on the smoker about 11:00. I deciced I am definately not waiting up and decided to check at 4am. I get up and I think it was 180. My eyesight was a little foggy.
icon_wink.gif
A little higher than I wanted. I was shooting for 175. I foiled it up and stuck the thermometer in the point.

I went back to bed til 6 and then checked the point it was 200 perfect. I started to slicing the flat and man was it goooood. My wife says cut some up so I can take it to work. I continue slicing to get my fill and cut some up for some guys at work. I ask one guy if he liked corned beef. He says well I not sure let me try. One bite and he says yea I like corned beef. When are you making me one?

I used the pastrami rub from the cooking section on the flat. I decided not to put it on the point. I am planning on dicing up a good bit of the point tomorrows supper. I am making fried potatoes with the chunks of pastrami. Man I can't wait. Hmmm I am thinking breakfast.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am making fried potatoes with the chunks of pastrami. Man I can't wait. Hmmm I am thinking breakfast.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I smoked some corned beef for pseudo pastrami recently... chopped some of it up with and made smoked corned beef has for breakfast. Its awesome.

Well I didn't get to do it last evening I didn't get home early enough. Had plenty of time today. I bought a bag of ore ida potato's O'brien and chopped about half the point into it. Mmmmm Delicious.

Back