First overnight smoke tips?

Samantha S

Starting my first overnighter tonight to cook a 9 lb pork shoulder and was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks to make it a successful night? I've already trimmed the fat on my bone in shoulder and rubbed it down with a dry rub. I would say it's 6-8 inches thick, so I'm guessing it will take about 12 hours. I was wanting to start the smoker around 11 that way the food would be done by 12 tomorrow afternoon and could rest for 4 hours. Guessing the minion method would be best for the charcoal, or should I use the fuse method? I would love any suggestions!! Thanks!

My opinion is for minion method. Exactly, the side tin can minion method.
Start the charcoal just in front of one of the bottom vent. You will controll really good the temp using that vent.
Probably you wont use the other two.
Probably.
I cook at 250F with that set up.

I agree with Enrico on the Minion method, except I usually put the can in the middle and slightly open all three vents for a more even burn distribution. It's just opinion and neither are wrong - personal preference.

I also would go for 225 for the overnight portion. There is a little more margin for error if the temp tends to creep up overnight. You can always increase the temp the next morning to 250/275 and wrap if needed.

I would make sure to use water or another heat sink so that you wouldn't be worried about spikes in temp.

Back