First overnight cook one the WSM - Awesome!!!!

Tanner H.

TVWBB Member
Hi folks,
Thought I Would share my first overnigh cook.
Packed the Charcoal ring with K blue put 4 Chunks of hickory in the middle of the coals and 4 on top. Started 30 coals in the chimney and added to the top. filled the water pan added two butts (6.5 lb and 8.5 lb) at 11 pm. It took me till around 1 am to get the temp to settle at around 235. Sat aound with a couple of cold ones until 3 AM ( a Lil nervous to go to sleep) but at 3 the temp was still at 235. went to bed and set my alarm for 7 AM (so I thought). Woke up at 9 AM
icon_eek.gif
Ran out to check -
wsmsmile8gm.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
temp at 230 still had a decent bed of coals and water still in the pan!!! This WSM is awesome. SMall butt temp was 167. Added some fresh coals got temps back up to 245. It is now 11:20 and small but temp is up to 188.
icon_biggrin.gif
running like a champ. I love this stuff. LOL
Thank you all again for the info on here and all the help I have received!!!!

Congratulations on your first one. Sounds like everything went well for you. The only get easier from here and soon you will sleep like a baby and not even think about it

I tell friends I cook overnight with charcoal unattended an they are amazed

Welcome to the overnight smokers club

Glad to see it went well. I did my 3rd or 4th overnighter last night. The overnighters have taught me that the WSM is amazing at keeping stable temps (even without controllers), that meat can arrive at the same place going through a variety of temps, and that I don't have to hover over the cooker either. Basically, the overnighters have given me a lot more confidence in the cooker, the charcoal, and the process.

Sounds like it's going very well. I do pretty much all of my butts and briskets overnight now because it's just so easy, and I like my sleep!

I never use water, just a foiled pan, and never have to add any extra charcoal, a full ring usually holds enough unless you're cooking in some really cold and or windy conditions.

Tanner, I'm also new on here and have used my WSM three times now. I found out from folks on here that it's a lot easier to control the temperature if you catch it on the way up. I now start it with the three bottom vents open to 25% (with a full water pan) and the temperature settles pretty quickly. You might be advised to keep a log if you haven't already done so. I monitored the temperature every 15 minutes for the first three runs and now I'm satisfied that I can start a cook and go to sleep without worrying (given the same outside conditions).

things really went well and everything turned out great. The smaller butt came off at 1300 and the larger one came off at 1530. I am so impressed with the WSM I just cant say enough!!! I already pulled the small one and its about gone from the pool party. Getting ready to pull the large one very soon. Only thing I noticed is the smaller one was a little dry, but still very good. Do you all add anything when you wrap em'? like apple juice or something. I did not inject or anything. Shouls I inject before cooking.

I don't inject mine and I just wrap them in foil and put them in a cooler. I've never had a problem with dry meat doing this.

I'm wondering if they were still too hot when you pulled them. If they're too hot when you pull them the juices will run out and evaporate, leaving dry meat. I'll let mine sit on the countertop for 15-30 minutes before I pull them if they've been in the cooler for less than an hour.

Tanner...
Injecting is one of those personal choices, just like foiling. I do inject to add some moisture and more importantly, flavor. Once the bark has fully set (fingernail test), they get foiled with a little marinade added. Then back on the smoker until probe tender. So far the results have worked for me.

Back