First mod on the new WSM!

M Schneider

TVWBB Member
Today was a much-anticipated day and I was delighted to say the least when the postman showed up with the brand new lid hinge I ordered. I opened the package like a kid opening his first gift from Santa on Christmas morning. I must say the quality and craftsmanship is top notch on this thing. It is very well made indeed, and I am really looking forward to installing it on my smoker. There's just one issue I am having right now and I am hoping someone on this forum can help me overcome it. I am having much difficulty in finding the necessary courage needed to drill that first hole in my shiny new toy! I'm guessing I'm not the first person here to have experienced something like this. I thought if I drank a cold beer that might calm me down enough to do the deed, but it wasn't to be. Quite a few cold ones later I finally had the courage, but lacked the motor skills required. Perhaps tomorrow will be a different story. :p

Try gin or bourbon. They are both liquid courage. Just make sure you get all the drilling done, beford you go comatose! :)

with a sharp bit, you'll be surprised how easy it is to drill through. I did the notch mod to allow my therm wire to exit without getting crushed. My grinder went through the side like a hot knife through butter.

Just be prepared when it pokes through. It'll be quick.

UPDATE- I went outside to the garage today with the intention of installing the hinge. It was so hot outside that even the WSM inside the garage was hot as heck to the touch. I decided this mod can wait until winter. ;)

Okay so I finally just sucked it up and dealt with the Texas heat. Lid hinge installed. Pics posted in the Mods section where this post probably should have been posted to begin with. My apologies.

Back