First Meatloaf in a while

Discretion -- that's a very useful word. Growing up, I always thought my mother was a great cook. After leaving home and especially after getting into the work world and eating at decent to good restaurants (and meeting my wife's mother -- man, what a cook!), I realized the truth. My parents are now gone and while I have memories, dinner time is not one.

Wife and daughter used to would not eat deer. So id get home first, pull meat out of freezer, grind it, mix about 30/70 to 50/50 with ground beef, and use for dinner. Clean up, hide freezer paper from meat in bottom of trash and be able to see hamburger meat package on top. Making things like spaghetti, tacos, chili, sloppy joes, etc with strong tomato sauces. They ate a whole deer and didnt know it. Wife asked finally "you must have thrown that deer out, because its not in freezer" when she finally noticed it was all gone...... I said, nope you ate it you just didn't know it.

I used to go to work early..6am. Shed go late...,9am, take kids to daycare, etc. Id pick them up and shed get home latelate..630. so i usually made dinner.

010A1E07-5D0C-49F2-855E-831110344234.gif

I currently live in a place where no one tries anything new. I have figured out the formula. If they didn't eat it as a child, they won't eat it now. On the plus side, I never have to worry about anyone from work stealing my lunch. If it's not something covered in white gravy or whataburger(pronounced water-burger down here) no one is interested. When it comes to food I'll try anything, and my wife is the same.

I served my mother veal once but didn't tell her. She would have never forgiven me.

The child theory is rational, @GaryP , but definitely not absolute. I know many who are just like you say and fear that anything new might be deadly. By my family was strictly "meat and potatoes" and mostly THAT'S what I rebel against -- my sister also. I give my wife some of the credit for my more venturesome tastes -- she got me to try many untouchables when introduced to her family in the NC mountains. No, I never got into the white gravy and the okra, but many new items were great. After her father died, her mother remarried a guy of Russian descent and there came a bunch of new possibilities (but borscht just never made it for me). So some of us rebel rather than follow along. And THAT is definitely a truism. :unsure:

Back