First low and slow butt questions

T Perkins

TVWBB Fan
Doing my first low and slow butt overnight tonite and was looking for any tips or tricks that I may have missed. Ive done a number of HH butts and briskets, so Ive got a got handle on the basics I guess.

Doing 2 butts, about 7-8 lbs each. If I put them on around 1am-2am, will I be OK to sleep in a bit-say 8am or 9am before I would need to get out and check them out?

Using water in the pan for the first time in the WSM tonite. Should I need to worry about getting up early to check water level if cooking at 225-250?

Should I bother to foil the bottom of the water pan or is that just each persons preference? I know not to foil the inside of the pan when using water.

I have my new ET-732, but havent used the alarm on it yet. Seemed kinda confusing to set the limits when I was looking at the instructions. Any tips/tricks of the trade???

TIA!

Tony

Tony, once the WSM settles down with the temp go to bed. Usually with me that's a few hours. I don't use water anymore so I don't have to worry about the pan running dry or low. If you foil just put a layer of foil over the water pan. Some people use crumbled up foil inside but I just leave mine empty. I can't taste the difference between butts cooked with water and with out. Dealers choice
icon_biggrin.gif
. I start my cooks about 4PM. I get a good night sleep. The temp of the unit is usually pretty good when I get up.I take my first peak and test the butts after my coffee. First things first.
icon_wink.gif
SOmetimes they are ready other times not. Be patient. When the temp is around 195-200 on the butts I'll check again for tenderness in all areas of the meat. When it goes in like a hot knife through butter or even a little before. Pull off,wrap,and store in a warm cooler.I always let mine sit at least 2 hours. They are still pretty hot when I take them out. Good luck on the cook.

If you don't want to mess with cleaning the pan, foil the bottom of it. If you don't, the smoke and heat can really make the bottom of the pan sticky and dirty. Watch Chris A's video about foiling - he has some excellent tips for you!

Started the WSM around 1AM and got meat on the smoker about 2AM. Had a few more beers and made sure temps were good. Got up around 7 and checked it out and we were around 170. Let it go until about 11am and wrapped in foil and let 'er rest about 3 hours. Best butt Ive done to date! I'll feel a little less uneasy about an "overnight" cook in the future.

Back