First KP Pizza of '22

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
My oldest daughter is in town this weekend, my wife and youngest are out of town, and my middle kid was playing in a water polo tournament. Since the oldest kid is the one that has picked up the cooking gene, we tossed ideas back and forth before she came up, and settled on making pizza. I made up my usual dough yesterday morning, and while mixing it up, I couldn't help but think of Cliff. He and I bantered a lot about a number of things, but pizza was something that we both took lots of tips/tricks from each other. I'm glad making pizza will remind me of Cliff, but still quite sad that he is gone.

Pizza goes on......the dough was kneaded, rested for a while, then balled up into containers to nap in the fridge until today. I fired up the KP with a chimney of Kingsford poured over about 1/2 chimney of unlit charcoal, and let that get hot. After about 20 minutes, I threw a couple of cherry chunks on the fire, and waited for them to ignite and get burning well. The KP therm said 600F, my IR temped between 450-600 at various parts of the stone. On went the pie......

I only uploaded one video as I stretched the skin on our other pie too thinly in the middle, and had a blowout....nobody wants to see that! :) Anyway, close-up of the pesto, shrimp and tomato pie with mozzarella and parmesan:

1649563945439.jpeg

Got some nice spring and bubbles in the cornicione.......getting this thing dialed in again! :)

1649564003316.jpeg

Delicious pie, made together with one of my kiddos, along with some nice memories of a departed friend.

It's pizza season folks! :)

R

PS: I've posted it many times before, but this is my dough recipe.......this amount is for one, 280g dough ball (about 10-12" depending on how thin you open it.)

171g Flour (50/50 All Purpose/Caputo 00)
104g Water
4.8g Salt
3g Olive Oil
.25g ADY

Between quality time with her Pappa and excellent food it is probably difficult for your Daughter to head back home! I'm certain your good friend Cliff appreciates your thoughtfulness.

Pizza looks great Rich. Along with Bob I miss Cliff too he was always unknowingly teaching me things and was always willing to share his knowledge when asked.
MY KP is a wall ornament in the garage, no kettle to put it on. I put it on the performer once and it melted the lid holder extensions.

Amazing! You nailed that one. How many pies can you cook without a reload in charcoal?
I have done four, and could make eke out a 5th or 6th. It's not too hard to drop 5-6 briquettes on either side and in back of the stone, so you could conceivably keep doing that and have limited lag time.

R

MY KP is a wall ornament in the garage, no kettle to put it on. I put it on the performer once and it melted the lid holder extensions.

Wow. Thanks for mentioning this Rich. I was thinking about using a KP on my one touch platinum, but did not consider the heat melting things.

hmmmm.

I have a MBH kettle that I could use, yet I am trying to thin my heard...
Same here. I have a 22" weber kettle grill, but its gas powered with a Weber gas conversion kit. So I can't use it. I hate to have another kettle just for the KP.

Dan, don’t ignore this OnlyFire one if you don’t have a rotisserie. They make just a pizza one too that is cheaper.

This is my OnlyFire in action. I had a top steel plate ( like on the Kettle Pizza) made locally, to keep the heat flowing over the top of the pizza.

Apologies to Rich for hijacking his thread, but...

I keep looking at different options and am having a hard time choosing between the KP, the onlyfire, an add-on for my BGE like a pizza-porto, or one of the many stand-alone pizza ovens like the ooni.

I ordered the only fire last week and it was supposed arrive last Thursday. The order was lost or delayed and I ended up cancelling it. Last night was pizza night and we did them inside in the electric hot box.

I'm curious, how wide is the opening on the KP? and same question for the only fire? I'm wondering if my peel will fit.

I keep looking at different options and am having a hard time choosing between the KP, the onlyfire, an add-on for my BGE like a pizza-porto, or one of the many stand-alone pizza ovens like the ooni.

I ordered the only fire last week and it was supposed arrive last Thursday. The order was lost or delayed and I ended up cancelling it. Last night was pizza night and we did them inside in the electric hot box.

I'm curious, how wide is the opening on the KP? and same question for the only fire? I'm wondering if my peel will fit.
My OnlyFire is 15 inches. It is not the combo unit but they are probably the same. Came with a metal peel that I use for removing them from the kettle. I use a wooden one to prep the pizza as it slides off of it onto the stone much easier without sticking.

9A5A1080-1E24-4CBD-859E-7E5BDF504189.jpeg

My KP opening is 17" & the stone is just under 15" wide.

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpg
    IMG_4023.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4024.jpg
    IMG_4024.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 3
that shrimp pizza looks delicious! made my first outdoor pizza of the season on my kettle today. I could not get the temp above 550 using a new setup. R&D on the driveway with pizza is what Spring is all about :)

Back