First High Temperature Brisket

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
I have only cooked one brisket before and it did not turn out well. It was very dry. I tried the low and slow process and used an internal temp of 190 to determine doneness.

I forgot about doing brisket until I recently read the 8 pages of posts on the WSM New Owners board describing how to cook brisket at higher temps 325-350 and being able to finish in 4-5 hours.

So, today I am trying a high temp brisket cook. I bought a 4.8 lb flat at Costco. There was not much fat on the underside, so I did not trim it.

I coated the flat with a paste using Dr BBQ rub mixed with a little Worcestershire sauce. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and left it the fridge for about 4 hours. Just before I put it on the WSM I added some dry rub as suggested by K Kruger.

I filled the ring about 3/4 full of Rancher and added about 1/2 chimney of lit Kingsford. To set the grate temp at 325 I use a BBQ Guru with the new DigiqII automatic controller. I also use the Maverick -73 to remotely monitor grate and meat temperature. The Guru is working well and is having no problem keeping the grate temp at 325 with the blower set to the higher 10 CFM rate.

After 1 hour and 40 minutes, the internal meat temp reached 175 and I took the brisket off and wrapped it loosely in foil without the temp probe. As set forth in the previously noted high temp brisket post, I plan to forget about meat temperature and check for tenderness (doneness) with a probe until it slides easily into the brisket.

I put the foiled brisket back in the cooker and left it there for 45 minutes. When I tried the probe, there was resistance. Back on for another 20 minutes. I tried the probe again, there was still substantial resistance.

That's where I am now. I will check every 20 minutes until the probe (a sharp wood skewer) slides in easily.

I sure hope this works.

John

UPDATE - the brisket allowed the skewer to slide in easily so it should be "done" after a totaly of 4 hours and 10 minutes cooked at a grate temp of 325. I wrapped it in foil and then a towel. The plan is to let it rest for about 30 minutes and then carve.

I haven't tried the high temp method yet but I can say since I stopped going by temp for finish I have had nothing but good brisket since.

Once the meat becomes tender it starts to dry out. The thing is each one is different, hence the reason temp doesn't work well.

let us know how it turns out.

The brisket was fantastic ! Moist, flavorful, great texture. Checking every 20 minutes with the skewer to tell when it is done takes some patience and a lot of faith.

Thanks to all who posted information on the high temperature brisket process, especially Kevin Kruger who provided the excellent detailed information which helped so much.

Best brisket I ever tasted - I am a believer

John

John, if you like a firmer bark just when you get to the point of some resistance to the probe going in take the brisket out of the foil and throw it back on the smoker for about 30-45 minutes. Save them thar juices makes great stock for adding to soups and meatloaf. I use a turkey baster to take the juices out of the foil.

Congratulations John.

The nice thing about doing high temp briskets is that you can do them on a whim, if you so choose.

I do them at tailgates now......talk about impressing a crowd.

Back