First high temp brisket flat (photos)

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
Well, wish me luck, due to the large amount of alchohol being consumed last night (this morning) I awake to a high temp brisket flat cook
icon_rolleyes.gif
I put it on around 6 this morning and temps are at about 170ish, 5 1/2 hours later. It was a CAB choice, 7 1/2 lb trimmed brisket. It was fired with maple/cherry/lil hickory. Do I need to foil, on a high heat brisket? I was coherent enough to take some pics while putting it on. I really have to stop putting meat on the wsm when I'm drinking
icon_razz.gif

Brandon

I have only tried one high-heat brisket cook. I followed Kevin Kruger's guide and foiled around 160, then cooked until tender. They were done in about 5 hours and were probably the best briskets I have ever cooked. I don't know if you NEED to foil or not, but it works quite well.

I think foiling for high heat cooks is pretty necessary to avoid excessive evaporation and dripping loss. Absolutely need? Dunno. CABs are better marbled so maybe you don't...but I would.

Well I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I did not foil. By the time I read this it was too late...I started checking for tender at 185, and it wasnt even close yet, then 190, 195, finally at 200 it felt tender. All in all it was close to 9 hours total. Probably 6 of them at ~300* and the last 3 around 275* Its double wrapped and going to get a good rest, then I'll slice and take photos. Once again wish me luck and thanks!

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I think foiling for high heat cooks is pretty necessary to avoid excessive evaporation and dripping loss. Absolutely need? Dunno. CABs are better marbled so maybe you don't...but I would. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I Absolutely agree that foiling is a must if doing a high heat flat cook. I've done at least 50 flat cooks over the years and prefer flats over packers. The best ones are always foiled around 160-165 and taken to almost fork tender, and carry over heat cooks them to perfect. As always this is JMO.
icon_wink.gif
Brandon, Brisket looks great.
icon_cool.gif

Kevin, Bryan, point taken. I hadn't intended on a high temp cook, and it probably wasnt "truely" a high temp cook, as I only reached 300* at the top.
It was a bit dryer then my last few briskets, but not all that noticeable. I guess I would say it was a bit more "rubbery" when sliced then the previous briskets I've done.
All in all I was lucky it turned out as well as it did, alchohol can be a bbq's worst enemy...but I like it
icon_rolleyes.gif
Maybe some day I'll grow up.
Also, Bryan, I like the packers because I can save/shred the point and freeze it for when I make chili, beats the crap outta pork IMO. Plus I like the extra mass, gotta love those overnight cooks
icon_wink.gif

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S: prefer flats over packers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But how can you not want to make Burnt Ends?
icon_eek.gif
Burnt Ends are my favorite part of cooking a brisket these days.

Though, lately, I have started to separate the point from the flat, but leaving the fat cap on as much as possible, before I cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:

Also, Bryan, I like the packers because I can save/shred the point and freeze it for when I make chili, beats the crap outta pork IMO. Plus I like the extra mass, gotta love those overnight cooks
icon_wink.gif

Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan Rice:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S: prefer flats over packers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But how can you not want to make Burnt Ends?
icon_eek.gif
Burnt Ends are my favorite part of cooking a brisket these days.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just think guys, there will be more points for you.
icon_biggrin.gif
Don't like them, never did and never will. It's a texture thing with me. Can't stand the texture of the point meat. Yep did the brisket point chili once, in the trash it went. Nasty mouthfeel to point meat IMO. Many over the years have tried to tell me how great it is and... and... Nope!, you can have it.
icon_wink.gif

Back