First High Heat Butt

j. pavone

TVWBB Super Fan
I tossed one of my .99 lb wegmans butts rubbed with full throttle hog rub at 1pm - a 8 pounder - WSM has settled in at 300 degrees - not quite sure when it will finish - not quite sure when to wrap - this is my first high heat cook - my low and slow cook comes out perfect everytime. I know i can't and won't screw this up - its only pork butt. I will keep you posted and have pics sometime later. Wish me luck
icon_wink.gif

I would probably foil at about the 160 mark myself. Depending how fast I want it to finish. Sounds like it's flying along good!

Clark

I usually do my high heat butts at around ~350. Foiled around 160.

Not too bad considering the shortened time period, but usually there is a small spot in the butt that isn't quite as tender as the rest. Sometimes the high heat butts are a just a wee bit more 'fatty' as well, but still more tender than you'd expect! Unless you cook your own BBQ, I don't think guests would be able to tell a difference between the low and slow versus the high heat, except for the lack of smokey flavor.

I do them every once in a while when I don't want to tend to the cooker for the 15-17 hrs the low and slow usually take.

I was not happy with the results. Like mitch said i also had a dry spot and it wasn't that smokey. most of it pulled nicely. i didn't bother posting the 4 pics i took - i wasn't in a very good mood. i wrapped at 160 like i always do - when i brought it in i unwrapped it - the bone slid out with ease so i thought i was good then i found the dry spot.

pork butt is pretty forgiving - i wouldn't think i could dry out a portion of it. most likely the method. i was able to package and freeze about 4 1/2 lbs of pork that just fell apart like it always should - the dry portion got tossed. I look at it this way - it was a 8 dollar high heat test. Most likely i will go with works best for me and thats low and slow

Back